Should we now bring back British Rail?

Started by: techiebloke
On: 11/01/2019 | 21:22
Replies: 46

by: jms0
on: 12/01/2019 | 23:19

@sarahaxon wrote:

@andyslc

All the recent bonkers Brexit-related events that have had money thrown at them lead me to conclude that the cost of something is no longer a reason for our government not to do it. If we can spend £14m for a ferry company with no

£14 million gets you one train.  The new rolling stock for Merseyrail is a £460 million contract.

Railways are really expensive.

You're the boss so check out Giffgaff's financial statements
Message 41 of 47
by: bobbg
on: 12/01/2019 | 23:21

Look back at past nationalisations eg British Leyland.. I recall the government defending a very expensive appointment of some bloke called Edwardes to run and revive that organisation because his expertise was vital for its future survival 😂

I challenge anyone to demonstrate any benefits today from all that publc expenditure! 

Nationalisation = Pass the buck

( The buck being public money via taxes )

Message 42 of 47
by: jeanlk
on: 12/01/2019 | 23:23

@techiebloke It is the fragmentation of the railways which is most divisive & making thrvsystems so unweildy & inefficient. The pride seems to have disappeared from the railways.

Just to clarify the name Great Britain - it is a geographical term referring to the largest island with Scotland, Wales &

England. Nothing to do with the importance of the country.

Message 43 of 47
by: sarahaxon
on: 12/01/2019 | 23:26
@jms0

wow that is a lot.

But if this country came to its senses we could save £39 billion, renationalise the railways and fix universal credit while we're at it!
Message 44 of 47
Highlighted
by: weejuls
on: 13/01/2019 | 00:07

Where's Casey Jones when we need him 😭

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 45 of 47
by: andyslc
on: 13/01/2019 | 06:42

@sarahaxon Isn’t that £39bn derived from money we would have spent as members of the E.U. so if we don’t leave we still won’t have it...or are you now advocating a no deal BRexit? Or are you planning a totally truthful bus campaign, because they seem to work quite well. Smiley Wink

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 46 of 47
by: nefarius
on: 13/01/2019 | 07:22

@jms0 wrote:

Railways are really expensive.

Goodness me, that is a lot! 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 47 of 47