Knowledge Base
Community

Should we now bring back British Rail?

Started by: techiebloke
On: 11/01/2019 | 21:22
Replies: 46

by: techiebloke
on: 11/01/2019 | 21:22

We used to develop and run our own trains, all of which were publicly owned as opposed to now where we're buying in trains from Hitachi and quite a few of the franchises are in the hands of companies which are owned in large part by the national operators of other countries (and that means European ones)

Remember when trains were advertised like this:

Recreation of 'Night Mail' - BR ad from 1988 which I seem to remember was broadcast first on Christmas Day (I was 6 at the time so I'm sure a rail fan here will correct me if I'm wrong about that)

'Black Silk' - launch of the Intercity 225 from 1991

From a passenger point of view it'd be good if the service was reliable and cheaper than it is today so I'd be in favour, what about you?

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 1 of 47
by: snenklehen
on: 11/01/2019 | 21:53
yes I think we should

I know we can't nationalise if we remain in the EU so it may not be an option, but if we do manage to escape at the end of March I would be totally behind it.
Guilty of thought crimes - If there is hope, it lies in the proles.
Message 2 of 47
by: eileenusher
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:08
Tricky one this, as I didn't actually agree with it being privatised in the first place, same with our gas, electric, water etc, but it would cost billions to do, and we can't do it while in the EU, and as I believe overall we'd be better off in the EU, but if we do end up with a no deal and things don't go badly like most experts are saying, then providing we can afford it without seriously going further into debt then yes.
Message 3 of 47
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:20

@techiebloke

No fan of state ownership but I do think now it's time to have  transport back under are control.

Message 4 of 47
by: techiebloke
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:21

As you know I am a remainer.

I think if we remained in we could make a case that it performed better under public ownership than private, unfortunately this was proved in catastrophic fashion with Railtrack.

As for Gas, Electric and Water I do agree too as these aren't luxuries and affordable, reliable train travel would open lots of employment opportunities for people, personally I'd love to be able to afford to go and do IT in London but with season ticket prices and how unreliable the trains are I couldn't.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 5 of 47
by: k89bpa
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:39
I say nah.

You voted for this situation, you, your parents, your grandparents, your great-grandparents.

Reap what you sow!

And keep lining the pockets of all those foreign shareholders, lol

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 6 of 47
by: eileenusher
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:48
@k89bpa, I certainly didn't vote for any of the situations brexit I voted remain, I didn't vote for our national railways, gas, electric, water or parts of our NHS or schools to be privatised,
Message 7 of 47
by: mariomariott
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:50

Yes. Great idea.

Message 8 of 47
by: jms0
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:53
Plenty of rose tinted glasses being worn. Or people who never travelled on Regional Railways. It was pretty grim.
You're the boss so check out Giffgaff's financial statements
Message 9 of 47
by: harryjulie1
on: 11/01/2019 | 22:53
They need to put the GREAT back into GREAT BRITAIN first and get rid of Tessa may and get people who can sort this country out
Message 10 of 47