Knowledge Base
Community

So many just don't realise this

Started by: contro
On: 02/01/2019 | 12:51
Replies: 18

by: contro
on: 02/01/2019 | 12:51

A second referendum will only put us back exactly where we are now and solve nothing.

Or am I missing something?

Message 1 of 19
by: sarahaxon
on: 02/01/2019 | 13:01
A second referendum would allow people in the UK to decide whether we left the EU under the terms offered, or stayed with the arrangements we have.

What it solves is:
If the majority want to leave on the terms offered, then the country is clear about the details and consequences of leaving and is willing to accept them.

If the majority want to stay in the EU, it will be because they understand what the alternative involves.

That detailed information was not available in June 2016. So people voted for all sorts of things they thought or hoped Brexit might mean.

We are all now a lot clearer.
Message 2 of 19
by: allan1954
on: 02/01/2019 | 13:02
@contro best out of 3 will keep them happy.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 19
by: koshka
on: 02/01/2019 | 13:03

If the result is remain then we can unilaterally cancel article 50. The best possible outcome.

Message 4 of 19
by: gvmhb
on: 02/01/2019 | 13:20
I want best of 5
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 19
by: kenralph
on: 02/01/2019 | 15:50 edited: 02/01/2019 | 15:52

@gvmhb wrote:

I want best of 5

We should hold a referendum on how many referendums we need before parliament realise the average man in the street is slightly lower than average.

And therefore needs those with the answers that lie hidden in their agenda to do the brexit for us ..but you know what ..they won't, and do you know why...so when it goes belly up, and it will, I think everyone has agreed on that ...(except for the slightly below average man on the street) ..is because the government that drives the bus off the cliff can say..it wasn't us, we only did what the majority wanted...while voting in a relapse of the Hunting Ban.

Message 6 of 19
by: slarti
on: 02/01/2019 | 16:03

@contro wrote:

A second referendum will only put us back exactly where we are now and solve nothing.

Or am I missing something?

A referendum can have more than 2 options, so it doesn't have to be just Stay/Go.

It could be Stay, Go on Maybot's deal, Go no deal, Wait another year and have a general election. Or whatever else those drafting it can think up. And it could be done properly and made legally binding, onlike the 2016 cockup.

Message 7 of 19
by: alecalexandrou
on: 02/01/2019 | 16:30
So many just will not realise this, but I have spent the whole day frequently calling patient transport services for someone who needs to attend their appointment, and all I am getting is constant music and messages telling me that they are currently experiencing a high volume of calls.

This means that they do not have the staff to answer the phones as a lot of them have not come back from the lovely extended holidays that they were given.

Does this really make me think that if we left the EU or stayed in the EU we would be in a better position as I am actually very annoyed that I am being ignored whilst I am trying to help someone and to do them a favour.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 19
by: andyslc
on: 02/01/2019 | 16:55

As has been pointed out, for starters making it legally binding would sort out a lot of the problems. Imagine of the first ref had been legally binding - no article 50 court case which wasted valuable time and possibly contributed to Mays decision for a general election (more time wasted). A legally binding referendum would have drastically reduced division amongst the populace.

We now have a much clearer idea of what Leave could mean. Not only that but we also can see just how totally lax and incompetent our own government has been in preparing for a no deal scenario. It’s now in a complete panic over it. If, and only if Mays Deal doesn’t make it through Parliament I’m not sure what other choice there is. Another general election won’t help matters and crashing out under current government preps is going to finish a fair few businesses, hike prices up and generally cause a complete shitstorm.

2 rusty tubs sailing from Ramsgate ain’t going to help. Of course if the government is trying to demonstrate that hard Brexit would be bad to get Mays deal through by making token gestures then that also should say something about how bad hard brexit could be - a conservative government willing to give money away for nothing. 

Still, Chris Grayling is just supporting new British business - anyone with a business plan get writing to the Tory minister of choice. Christmas might just come early as they clearly have more than one magic money tree.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 9 of 19
by: sarahaxon
on: 02/01/2019 | 17:01
@alecalexandrou

How very trying!
Yet it would seem that many voted to leave because they wanted services to improve. I've been listening to Adrian Chiles on the radio talking to people in Birmingham about why they voted as they did in the referendum.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who voted leave because they were dissatisfied with the way things are at the moment- employment, the NHS, housing. All things which are nothing to do with the EU. I repeat, nothing to do with the EU.

It was a clever move on behalf of the Leave campaign not to specify what Brexit meant. People could and did attach all sorts of wishes to it, which broadly speaking could be summarised as 'fewer immigrants, more and better services'.

I don't blame people for wanting life to improve, but responsibility needs to be assigned where it's due.
Message 10 of 19