Knowledge Base
Community

The Aquarium Thread

Started by: masterluke
On: 10/05/2018 | 20:52
Replies: 231

by: masterluke
on: 10/05/2018 | 20:52

Discussion and for posting pics for anything fishy related, or not so fishy related - also includes inverts, plants, equipment etc. Mainly intended to be tropical freshwater but may as well include coldwater freshwater, tropical marine, coldwater marine (not many people keep those), brackish (or that). Aquarists get posting. Some of my pics to follow...

My current setup:

Tank/Filter/Equipment:
Fluval Spec V nano tank (19l/21l)
Sump filter media: sponge/foam, activated carbon or filter floss, BioMax rings

Sump filter water pump: 300lph
Newa VisiTherm Eco 50w heater (in the sump)
Added an air powered sponge filter other end of tank running on a tiny piezoelectric air pump
LED lighting (7.4w). White light + blue moonlight night time light (good)

Substrate/Decor:
4kg's Samoa sand (inert)
BBQ lavarock
Beach driftwood

Plants:
Sagittaria Subulata (eel grass)
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Monosolenium tenerum (Pellia/sußwassertang) freshwater "seaweed"
Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan' (freebie)

Plant feed:

Sera florenette root tablets

King British plant feed (contains iron)

The critters (subject to change Man Very Happy):
4 Poecilia wingei endlers (guppies). Was 5. Had a cute little baby one I was fond of go missing. Smiley Sad Eaten by a crab?
8 (7 + 1 tiny freebie) Neocaridina (yellow ones) shrimps. Or there might be 8. Subject to being eaten by crabs. Smiley Indifferent
5 Thai micro crabs
2 Brotia pogodula (Horned Armour Snails)
3(?) Rams horn snails(?) freebies/stowaways with the plants
3 Golden freshwater clams

Water parameters:

Temp: 24C

Ammonia & nitrite: 0ppm (I hope)

Nitrate: <5ppm

GH: dunno don't test it

KH: 5 varies - messing around making my own DIY hardness buffer (I'll probably keep it at 4)

pH: 7.5-7.8 rises in the afternoon due to the plants (bit more stable now than it was before).

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 232
on: 10/05/2018 | 21:02

DSC03241-resized.JPGDSC03494-resized.JPG

DSC03125-cropped-resized.JPGDSC02976-resized.JPG

My little shrimpies.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 232
on: 10/05/2018 | 21:08

DSC02736-resized.JPG

Micro crab (with Brotia pogodula snail).

DSC02788-cropped-resized.JPG

Micro crab.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 232
on: 10/05/2018 | 21:14

DSC03639-cropped-resized.JPG

Not quite sure what was going on here, but male endler lazing about sitting on the sand watching the snails eating shrimp food (pellet). Everything in the tank seems to eat the shrimp food except the shrimps. Smiley Frustrated

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 232
on: 10/05/2018 | 21:40

DSC03759-cropped.JPG

Male & female endlers + 2 of the clams - the other one has buried itself in the sand. The 'dust' is because I've added some mashed up egg shell to the substrate to add calcium to the water and to buffer the KH a little. Glass also has some algae on it.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 232
by: extreme_one
on: 11/05/2018 | 10:41

Some fantastic photos @masterluke. Those shrimp are superb. 

I think I'll get some in my tank one of these days.

I'll post some pics and details of my setup later.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 6 of 232
by: kath72
on: 11/05/2018 | 11:47
This is really interesting. I never realised keeping fish was so complicated Smiley Very Happy

Nice pics though @masterluke ... I always think fish are therapeutic to watch but since I can’t keep houseplants alive it would be cruel to keep fish
Message 7 of 232
by: ellieclarke1989
on: 11/05/2018 | 11:49
I love aquariums. The only reason I don't keep fish is because I move house a lot. Those are really nice pictures that have been posted here.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 232
on: 11/05/2018 | 12:24

kath72 wrote:

This is really interesting. I never realised keeping fish was so complicated Smiley Very Happy

Nice pics though @masterluke ... I always think fish are therapeutic to watch but since I can’t keep houseplants alive it would be cruel to keep fish

@kath72 Yes it is very therapeutic/calming having an aquarium. It chills me out looking at the tank if I'm feeling a bit angry or stressed or something (I get anxiety). As you may have noticed I'm also interested in the technical side of things Man Very Happy, and the water chemistry, well to an extent. It's not just about the fish for me, it's creating their environment, the decor, growing plants, the equipment running it and everything.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 232
on: 11/05/2018 | 12:41

ellieclarke1989 wrote:

I love aquariums. The only reason I don't keep fish is because I move house a lot. Those are really nice pictures that have been posted here.

That's why I've bought a nano tank so it can be easily packed away for if (when) we move, and I'll have to try and keep the stocking levels low (although not sure how when I'm keeping guppies lol) so it wont be too much a headache bagging them up and putting them in polystyrene boxes. I haven't got the room for a big tank anyway.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 232