Knowledge Base
Community

The Aquarium Thread

Started by: masterluke
On: 10/05/2018 | 20:52
Replies: 231

by: extreme_one
on: 13/01/2019 | 14:01

That's the trouble with snails @masterluke, they can become a nuisance and can be tricky to manage.

I've just been out and picked up a couple more Assassin Snails, as well as some more plants.

They'll eat any snail they come across, even each other if they run out of prey!

Smiley Indifferent
Message 151 of 232
by: masterluke
on: 14/01/2019 | 14:43

@extreme_one wrote:

Did a bit of pruning and cleared the kid's fingerprints from the front

I use vinegar + bit of filter floss/wool or a lens cleaning cloth to clean mine.

What plant feed / fertiliser do you use @extreme_one. I use King British Plant Food (liquid) it's cheap off Amazon but I've run out of root tablets, I've been using a combination of both. Not sure whether to get some more or not they're ridiculously expensive for what they are. I've seen some cheap Chinese ones on eBay but they don't list the ingredients.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 152 of 232
on: 14/01/2019 | 15:14

Currently using Easy Life ProFito liquid feed daily, along with Easy Life root sticks.

Easy Life Pro Fito, 500 mlEasy Life 25 Root Sticks 

I break the root sticks down into thirds so one tub lasts a good couple of years.

I've used TNC Complete, liquid feed in the past too which was very good.

I spend around £15 for 1L or either ProFito or TNC Complete and dispense two squirts a day from a liquid soap dispenser I've previously washed out thoroughly. 1L lasts me about 7 months or so.

Previously used DIY Root tabs - bought empty gelatin capsules and filled with fertiliser.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 153 of 232
by: dory85
on: 14/01/2019 | 17:31

I can't post pics off my phone but love the pics I see I have two shubunkins and a black pleko fish 🐠 

Message 154 of 232
on: 14/01/2019 | 17:43

@dory85 wrote:

I can't post pics off my phone but love the pics I see I have two shubunkins and a black pleko fish 🐠 

What species of Pleco do you have @dory85? The common Pleco grows huge, about 2 feet in length!

Smiley Indifferent
Message 155 of 232
by: dory85
on: 14/01/2019 | 18:23
@extreme_one I'm not too sure but he's about 2-3 foot his names cole hehe
Message 156 of 232
on: 14/01/2019 | 18:51

@dory85 wrote:

@extreme_one I'm not too sure but he's about 2-3 foot his names cole hehe

Fantastic!

Would love to see a photo of his home @dory85

You can upload photos off your phone, you need to use Advanced Reply, and click on the camera icon.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 157 of 232
by: masterluke
on: 15/01/2019 | 10:33

Do the gelatin capsules biodegrade in the tank @extreme_one? What puts me of that is the possibility of ending up with a load of spent capsule cases in the sand. Do they fully dissolve?

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 158 of 232
on: 15/01/2019 | 11:03 edited: 15/01/2019 | 11:48

@masterluke wrote:

Do the gelatin capsules biodegrade in the tank @extreme_one? What puts me of that is the possibility of ending up with a load of spent capsule cases in the sand. Do they fully dissolve?

Yes they fully dissolve @masterluke, they're made of the same stuff you might swallow as a medicinal capsule; cold remedy or painkiller. 

In fact they dissolve faster than the little yellow balls of fertiliser, they're made of a thin papery substance and occasionally make there way up to the surface of the substrate.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 159 of 232
by: nikmobile
on: 15/01/2019 | 11:50

image.jpgThis is my angel fish tank currently using a house plant without the soil in the future of this thank it helps take out the nitrates from the water and keep the water very healthy plant is doing very well in water great choice and looks good to

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 160 of 232