Knowledge Base
Community

The Aquarium Thread

Started by: masterluke
On: 10/05/2018 | 20:52
Replies: 229

by: alienlady
on: 08/02/2019 | 14:42

@masterluke they are awful , I used to spend hours crushing them .

If you can transfer your fish to another tank it is possible to kill all your snails . I used to use Potassium Permanganate crystals , when you turn the water dark purple it removes oxygen from the tank. Nothing survives.

There is a good snail and egg killer in pet shops now but I'm not sure if it covers all snails.

Message 191 of 230
by: masterluke
on: 10/02/2019 | 19:22

@alienlady If I were to kill the snails I'd also be killing the tank(s). Nuking them would be a bit drastic. The tank is the filter, and I keep inverts which are much more interesting than fish, it's not community fish aquaria I keep, but I have some endler guppies. I like the male endlers, they are small and colourful and more interesting to watch, but the female ones are fat, stupid and ugly and just annoy me, they bother the shrimp - I don't mean in that they go for them as such, but also eat the food I put in for the shrimp, because all they want to do is eat, eat and eat and get even fatter.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 192 of 230
on: 10/02/2019 | 19:56

DSC04370-cropped.JPG

I went up into the hills this afternoon and found this stuff whilst poking about in the loch and collecting a water sample. I think it's Willow Moss, Fontinalis antipyretica?

https://www.primrose.co.uk/bunches-water-moss-fontinalis-antipyretica-oxygenating-p-61810.html

https://plantsforponds.co.uk/products/willow-moss-fontinalis-antipyretica

£10.45? No it wasn't it's free. Smiley Wink

Fontinalis antipyretica is found in North America as far south as Pennsylvania and Arizona, and also in Europe, Asia and parts of Africa. It grows attached to submerged rocks in fast-flowing water. It also occurs attached to the substrate in lakes and as floating masses in still water, and may be cast up on beaches at the waterside.[4] It thrives in shady positions and prefers acid water, a pH of around 8.4 being the maximum tolerated.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontinalis_antipyretica

It should be able to adapt to my sub-tropical tanks? It'll do alright in my wildlife pond obviously.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 193 of 230
by: nikmobile
on: 11/02/2019 | 18:34
@masterluke I used to have a tank of endlers which used to breed for 3 years I got bored of them in the end and passed them on to my brother, yes the males are great little fish for nano tanks.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 194 of 230
on: 18/02/2019 | 19:29

DSC04596-resized.JPG

Brought back some gnarly wood - weathered branches which have broken off bushes, on my way back from the hills. It'll need a good soak before it's tank ready and doesn't float, or at least not as much. I'll probably have to cut bits to size so it'll fit in my tank(s). There's quite a lot there for my small tanks so any bits left over I don't want I'll put in/around my pond.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 195 of 230
on: 18/02/2019 | 19:46

DSC04602-resized.JPG

Mmmm yummy. Man Very Happy This is the liquid food I've made for the clams I keep in the fridge:

Sea salt (as a preservative) dissolved in hot water
Baker's yeast (in boiled water to kill it)
Egg yoke (cooked runny)
Pea juice (as in borrowing some from a tin of processed peas)
Spirulina powder
Fish food (powdered)
Mashed up sardine (only a very small piece of)

I also have a longer pipette if I want to target feed.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 196 of 230
by: caro120
on: 19/02/2019 | 00:22

@nikmobile wrote:

@masterluke I used to have a tank of endlers which used to breed for 3 years I got bored of them in the end and passed them on to my brother, yes the males are great little fish for nano tanks.

looked that up, nearest could get was elvers and that set the mind boggling!

sort of guppy, never heard them called that!  but then I don't know much at all bout aquariums - or is it aquarii?

Message 197 of 230
by: caro120
on: 19/02/2019 | 00:26

@masterluke wrote:

DSC04370-cropped.JPG

I went up into the hills this afternoon and found this stuff whilst poking about in the loch and collecting a water sample. I think it's Willow Moss, Fontinalis antipyretica?

https://www.primrose.co.uk/bunches-water-moss-fontinalis-antipyretica-oxygenating-p-61810.html

https://plantsforponds.co.uk/products/willow-moss-fontinalis-antipyretica

£10.45? No it wasn't it's free. Smiley Wink

Fontinalis antipyretica is found in North America as far south as Pennsylvania and Arizona, and also in Europe, Asia and parts of Africa. It grows attached to submerged rocks in fast-flowing water. It also occurs attached to the substrate in lakes and as floating masses in still water, and may be cast up on beaches at the waterside.[4] It thrives in shady positions and prefers acid water, a pH of around 8.4 being the maximum tolerated.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontinalis_antipyretica

It should be able to adapt to my sub-tropical tanks? It'll do alright in my wildlife pond obviously.

can you get any endemic parasites in wild stuff?  we used to buy canadian pondweed back in the dark ages and think was some scare about it being not processed in some way.  expect normally would be grown in sterile tanks, dunno

if do get any odd problems with fish I spose would question sources..it's certainly an art and come a long way from the goldfish in steptoe and son.

everyone seemed to keep them in bowls and remember there was publicity around having them half full to ensure bigger area of contact for aeration

Message 198 of 230
by: ringralph
on: 19/02/2019 | 19:22

An update…

I have my green hair algae problem beat. The “female” fighting fish turned out to be males. As a result there is just one fighting fish left. I’ve added some chain loaches to keep the snail population under control. 

I’m also now setting up a small spare tank as a daphnia tank to feed the fishes in the main tank. 

Message 199 of 230
on: 22/02/2019 | 14:28

DSC04753-resized.JPG

Ooo what's this I got something in the post today from China. It's even got a UK plug on it. Smiley Surprised

DSC04761-resized.JPG

It's a growlight / aquarium light for my little 10l acrylic tank. Old light not bright enough and rubbish plant growth, metal bendy arm gone rusty as well. New one seems to have a coating on it so shouldn't rust? But I've put an acrylic cover over the top of the tank since anyway, so it's not spitting water anymore from the airstone.

It's got a pinkish/reddish hue to it but I like that, it reminds me when I used to use T8 tubes. I've already noticed that it really makes my cherry shrimp stand out bright red!

I chose this light over others because it's got 3 individual switches for turning the different colours (red/white/blue) on & off. I'm looking forward to when it gets dark later to see how it looks under it's blue LED's. Other similar lights you can buy have built-in timers but they're no good, if you switch it off at the plug, and back on, or if you have a power cut it stays off then when the power comes back on and has to be manually reset / switched on. That's no good. What if you're away on holiday? If the power goes off then your plants will probably die whilst you're away, dying plants could also crash the tank and kill everything else, esp. in my case where I've got sensitive critters like shrimp & clams. Better off using a normal timer socket.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 200 of 230