Community

The Letter

Started by: bluenose5
On: 18/01/2019 | 15:47
Replies: 23

Highlighted
by: andath
on: 21/01/2019 | 19:42 edited: 21/01/2019 | 19:44

Like it not @michaeldunha, we joined the club and so accepted the terms. That's the deal, and like any other contract, there are rules when it comes to getting out. Business legality, not contemptible behaviour.

Tusk (was it Tusk or was it Juncker, no matter) with the cake and cherry image was responding to Johnson's comments. Johnson was undiplomatic, Tusk (or Juncker) were responding in kind. What's good for the goose ..... not contemptible, surely? And if it was contemptible, are you not displaying snowflake behaviour by objecting to someone giving back as good as they get?

Juncker's "nebulous" comment was referring to the UK's position on Brexit. It is nebulous. Our government and Parliament cannot agree on what they want. They still can't, months after that accusation. It's the truth so certainly not contemptible.

I really don't know what you expected from the EU. They are sticking together and playing hard ball. We were warned that would be their policy and that they are good at it. That's why they don't get pushed around by global players like USA and China. Did you really think they would show any sentiment and give us our cake to eat? Their job is to get the best deal for their member states. That is all they are doing.

Message 21 of 24
by: nefarius
on: 21/01/2019 | 19:52

@michaeldunha wrote:

@andath no our commitments to the EU end in March that's what it says in Article 50 otherwise we'd be paying into the EU from here to eternity.
Regional development? You mean when the EU give us back some of the money we pay them in the first place? Would it make more sense to cut out the middle man and fund these directly?
Security? Are you suggesting that the EU is that petty they'd stop sharing intelligence?
Trade? Plenty of countries trade with the EU without having to pay billions for the privilege, I don't recall Canada or Japan being asked to do so as part of their trade deals so obviously don't need to pay a membership fee as you've suggested.

You feel it was appropriate for Tusk to post that picture of a cake and comment : “A piece of cake, perhaps? Sorry, no cherries.”?
Or Juncker to refer to us as nebulous?

So if you take a "test pot" of goods purchased from the eu, Canada and the UK pay the same amount? I'm asking because I don't know. It's your "story". @michaeldunha

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 22 of 24
by: michaeldunha
on: 23/01/2019 | 16:10
@andath so you're just going to ignore Article 50? Where it states that commitments to agreed treaties end when we leave.
If I were to accept your position however that we are obliged to pay agreed commitments then the current spending budget ends in two years. Now since our net contribution is said to be 10 billion per perhaps you can explain the 50 the EU were demanding? Worse case using your flawed logic would be we owe 20 at most.
There are ways of conducting negotiations and publicly disrespecting the other side isn't one of them, so enough with the cheap snowflake claims.
By all means post the comments made by Johnson that you feel actually warranted Tusks tweet.

The European GPS project where we've now been blocked for security reasons?

No I'm not surprised on how the EU has behaved, but are they actually acting in the best interests of the remaining member states or I trying intimidate other countries going down the same route as the? It's obviously the later.
Message 23 of 24
by: nefarius
on: 23/01/2019 | 16:27

10 billion will replace the galileo project with oodles to spare! And that's just one year! Apparently galileo doesn't suit the UK's defense needs anyway. 

PerfumedFastFennecfox-small.gif

Galileo is an EU project, not an international one. The UK will no longer be an EU member come 29th of March. The decision was unanimous with all member states. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 24 of 24