Well it appears that us readers are a shy lot so I am playing about trying to make this thread more inviting to everyone.
While it is called the official book club you dont have to join in with group reads or discussions to be part of the group.
What we want really want to know is what is everyone reading and what do they think of it, so let us know what book you are currently lost in.
For those of you interested in the book club side of things here is how it will work;
1) We will aim to read a new book each month (BOTM) this is not a fixed time as some longer books will take longer than a month to get through so we will play it by ear.
2) An official vote will be set up on micropoll which I will link in this thread voting will normally start the first weekend of the month and finish by the third weekend of the month.
3) Currently the format we are using is reading around the world, where a list of top 10 books from/about a specific country are voted on please feel free to suggest countries you think we should visit. We also read by top 10 books in a specific genre eg horror, romance, science fiction etc again feel free to add your suggestions. Please add all suggestions on the latest page of this thread.
4) Round about the first weekend of the month I will post discussion questions for that month's book again this is subject to change depending how long it takes me to read the book.
5) At various points in the year there are other challenges that mean BOTM goes on hold, the biggest of these is reading the Booker longlist books and predicting the short list and then winner.
As we are nearly at the end of January I propose to get nominations together until 1st February for our March book of the month, from the 1st to the 10th we will vote and the book with the most votes will be our March book.
Nominations received after 1st February will be added to our next vote (March) this will then roll on for each new month.
We will vote for the first 10 days of the month to choose the book for the next month this gives people time to find the book we decide on if they wish to read along.
So send you nominations in now please mark your post or PM to me as March BOTM nomination
Now the most important questions for our Book Club members is what are you reading?
Check out the previous thread here to see our past discussions.
Feel free to add you current reads, plan to reads and recommendations to this thread we want to get a good discussion going!!
Just to kick start the review section heres one I made earlier and nearly in the specified format lol
Home Marilynne Robinson
This is the story of the Reverend Broughton and his family, specifically the black sheep and prodigal son Jack and his younger sister Glory.
Home is a small place in the Iowa countryside called Gilead a small community where everyone knows everyone else and its hard to escape your past.
After the failure of her relationship Glory has returned home, only to find herself cast in the role of carer for her dying father the Reverend, all the Reverend wants from life is to see his favourite child Jack one last time before he dies.
Struggling with his life and alcohol Jack also returns to Gilead but will his coming cause more heartache than his 20 year absence.
Like the place it is set in the story is slow moving there is no real action as such the plot is moved along by the complex relationships between the family members, the ideaology they discuss and the questioning of whether or not it is possible to ever escape the sins of the past.
A very touching novel about family that reminded me in some ways of Absalom, Absalom I will now have to read Gilead to see the story from the other side.
Wooo, great to see this up again.
Great review twoleftfeet.
I'm currently reading 1984 by George Orwell but am a very slow reader so may be a while until I write a review for it
I'll check in later and write some reviews from other recent books that I've read
@ Imshy your Mum sounds like me and my Nan we are both avid readers she can read a book a day (she is retired lol) I can read about 3 books a week depending on length and how much I am enjoying them boring books take longer lol
OH always know if I like a book or not by how long it takes to read.
So do you have any suggestions for our March read?