Knowledge Base
Community

The answer to healthy eating is at home-right or wrong

Started by: kaikourakids
On: 02/12/2018 | 15:37
Replies: 22

by: kaikourakids
on: 02/12/2018 | 15:37

In the news, some are trying to make schools accountable for the obesity problem. The reply in the press is that parents need to be responsible-Wright or wrong?

I’ll be interested to hear your views 

Message 1 of 23
by: frenchielove
on: 02/12/2018 | 16:42

It starts at home @kaikourakids imo. Parents need to take responsibility for this. Schools, as far as I know are much more careful about the food they serve, and there are no tuck shops any more are there? 

Message 2 of 23
by: kaikourakids
on: 02/12/2018 | 16:45
I personally think that parents shouldn’t buy rubbish for their kids and exercise more. Seems too many shift the blame U.K. others
Message 3 of 23
by: shockey
on: 02/12/2018 | 16:50
Life is to easy for so many
Exercise and and a good balanced diet
Message 4 of 23
by: team_leader
on: 02/12/2018 | 16:53

Schools aren't to blame @kaikourakids parents should be held responsible. 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 23
Highlighted
by: muddycalhoun
on: 02/12/2018 | 17:11

There is a lot said about lacking enzymes that let the brain know that the stomach is full and about brain chemistry and dopamine levels related to overeating and much of that might be so, however I believe most people who are overweight and obese have been brought up in a household with a unhealthy relationship to food and their dietary choices are learned bad habits, bad choices of food types, of food preparation, portion sizes and a lack of fixed mealtimes with snacking or fridge grazing an acceptable behaviour between any mealtimes such as they have.

Of course apps like"justeat" have their share of the blame to answer for, as a nation we have a very good example of the benefits of healthy eating in the wartime generatons who through rationing at first and then through habit had diets high in home produced vegetables and low in fats, meat and sugar and with healthcare there have never been more nonagenarians' and from the habits of the current generations I wonder if life expectancy will do a U turn for the first time in human history?

Message 6 of 23
by: k89bpa
on: 02/12/2018 | 18:24

@muddycalhoun wrote:

...I wonder if life expectancy will do a U turn for the first time in human history?

What a thought provoking comment.

Your whole post is spot on in my opinion but that bit at the end really is "food for thought", (sorry), modern medicine does sway the balance somewhat but perhaps one day it will be outpaced. 

I'd genuinely never thought of the obesity debate from this perspective before. 

I think I'm gonna activate kudos just to give you one for that.

Fantastic comment @muddycalhoun

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
For the meaning behind the codes in my posts search the code GGK-0228-2309
Message 7 of 23
by: nefarius
on: 02/12/2018 | 18:30

Who is trying to blame the schools? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 23
by: adventure17
on: 02/12/2018 | 18:38
I think blaming schools is a cop-out.
They may not all offer the most healthy food but a child's bad eating habits will have been and continue to be learned at home.

Message 9 of 23
by: standardbearer
on: 02/12/2018 | 19:27 edited: 02/12/2018 | 19:29

Its a mixture. You had the turkey twizzler saga which highlighted C--p food for kids.Self budget schools selling off part or all playing fields to gain money to build other school buildings. Councils allowing playing fields to be sold off for housing.
Loads of fast food outlets .
A different era of social media where kids given the choice want to stay on their mobiles most of the time, many also playing computer games in their spare time rather than out and about.
So schools should be made responsible for healthy lunches .
Bring back games time where no longer.
In an ideal world the parents should be made responsible for healthy meals at home.
As a sideline though some poor kids are arriving at school with no breakfast , no chance of those parents being made responsible.

Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 10 of 23