Community

Thinking about getting a Dog

Started by: helen_starkey
On: 17/03/2019 | 20:45
Replies: 37

by: helen_starkey
on: 17/03/2019 | 20:45

Hello friends

I am currently thinking about getting a dog, i think i would like a Collie or a Labrador but still thinking do any of you have a pet dog x and how are they well behaved lovable ect. My son likes bullddogs and anything with a scrunch up face hehe but i am not too much for them dogs Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 38
by: themzbiker
on: 17/03/2019 | 20:50

@helen_starkey 

Dogs are great pets they really are I've had Labradors for 36 years 2 yellow ones & the rest were black there amazing dogs sadly i lost my last dog late last year to cancer 

Collies are lovely dogs too longer hair compared to a Labrador i really hope you go for it & get a dog you won't regret it there great 

Message 2 of 38
by: silemairin
on: 17/03/2019 | 21:05

Dogs will give you more love than you can believe , they truly are a faithful friend we always had German Shepherd s they were wonderful we lost our last one four years ago and had to reach the comclusion that because of our ages we could no longer give one a good life as neither of us could give the exercise  that they need ,

I wish you well with your new pet and envy you  I really miss not having one

Message 3 of 38
by: revjonty
on: 17/03/2019 | 21:13
Don't get a collie unless you plan to spend a lot of time walking it, playing with it, and generally entertaining it.
Collies are amongst the most intelligent of dogs, but if they don't have anything to keep them entertained then they will get depressed, or unruly. They were bread to be working dogs, and need something to keep their minds occupied.

Labs are almost the opposite. Quite happy doing very little, but prone to getting overweight. Seems a bit of a strange shortlist to be honest being as they are such different temperaments.

What I would say though, is check the local rescue places, don't feed the immoral puppy farming industry. Mongrels are generally healthier dogs than so called pure breads.

Order a sim from here & get a bonus £5 credit upon activation

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 38
by: bigdaddy0714
on: 17/03/2019 | 21:13
@helen_starkey we’ve got a shar pei a labradoodle and most recently a Boston terrier and there all fantastic and the Boston terrier has the biggest personality for such a little fella he is now the guard dog and as he was brought for my youngest he’s her little bodyguard lol.
Message 5 of 38
by: nefarius
on: 17/03/2019 | 21:17 edited: 18/03/2019 | 08:58

I have thought about getting a dog but don't like the thought of leaving it at home, alone, while I'm at work. 

Picking up dog poo doesn't appeal either. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 38
by: standardbearer
on: 17/03/2019 | 21:32
@helen_starkey
Helen whatever you get that dog must have walkies everyday.
If its Australian then its walk about.
Fortune Favours The Brave S.P.Q.R
Message 7 of 38
by: patchandcrew
on: 18/03/2019 | 04:01

Whichever you decide is the right one for you ( and you for the dog) please do consider rescue as has been mentioned Smiley Happy 

If the collie route, please consider Wiccaweys in particular as a potential rescue to look at 😊😊😊 

Message 8 of 38
by: k89bpa
on: 18/03/2019 | 04:10
GGK-0318-0407

With reference to the breeds mentioned @revjonty is spot on.

And don't be fooled if they have miniature in their name either in respect of collies, we had one when I was a kid and she would have ran beside me as I cycled all day long if I'd let her.

It took a lot of work to wear her out, lol
Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 180GB
My Public GDrive Folder
Message 9 of 38
by: starkey93
on: 18/03/2019 | 04:14

@k89bpawrote:

GGK-0318-0407

With reference to the breeds mentioned @revjonty is spot on.

And don't be fooled if they have miniature in their name either in respect of collies, we had one when I was a kid and she would have ran beside me as I cycled all day long if I'd let her.

It took a lot of work to wear her out, lol

Think I will be on walking duty Smiley Sad ahah I don't mind I think it will be nice for my mum to have a dog around the house to keep her company when I'm out about Smiley Happy sounds like I have my work cut out aha

C.starkey
Message 10 of 38