Knowledge Base
Community

This weeks Brexit news roundup

Started by: becalel
On: 07/07/2017 | 12:59
Replies: 253

by: becalel
on: 07/07/2017 | 12:59

So we start with the news from Tuesday, when Dominic Cummings, a man who gave us the £350m lie on the bus and the director of the whole Vote Leave campaign said that the Referendum itself was a 'dumb idea' (he knew it all along, apparently) and that leaving the EU might be an error.

That's Huffington on the subject, and here's same story from The Independent

The above was stated during a Twitter exchange and if you are on Twitter I really recommend you follow David Allen Green. Unless you don't like experts.

Moving on and Wednesday's Newsnight brought us this little remark:

"I'm beginning to hear talk that Brexit may not actually happen", as reported here by Huffington. Still, hardly a hard evidence of anything. I'd be first to treat it as fairly meaningless...

...if treated as an isolated case. Which it isn't.

And then yesterday we've had the announcement of the EU - Japan trade deal. Let's pause here for a moment. 

The deal was 5 years in the making and was finalised with the aim of building a strong and stable (see what I did there? *wink* *wink*) economical force being able to withstand (and oppose/shrug off) whatever Trump's America is going to come up next in international trade. So basically Europe and Japan are going hand to hand to take on the USA. The same USA that the Brexit dreamers wish to see as UK's main trading partner.

It's also a deal that Britain is about to crash out of, naturally. I'm sure there will be people who think that a lonesome UK will be able to negotiate with Japan an even better deal. Godspeed.

And bless.

And before you start going full Nissan-deal on me, let me remind you one little fact: last year's Japan's Message to the United Kingdom and the European Union. Here's the link to the document (opens in new tab or prompts a download, a .pdf document) and here you have a comprehensive breakdown and commentary from Business Insider.

You can Tl;dr it however to: "If the UK comes out of the common European market, we're moving our business to Europe.

And that's currently nearly 450.000 jobs.

Sure, Maybe May managed to strike a deal with Nissan but it's hard to believe that she didn't shake a bit of that magic money tree on them. 

And last but not least, hardly a news. Michel Barnier had to remind the UK (again!) what Brexit really means (beyond the white-red-and-blue kak we've been fed so far).

b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpgb4.jpg

Which is also a subtle reminder that at the end of the day, EU calls all the shots. You simply can't hope to dictate the rules of the club when you're leaving the club. 

Happy brexiting!

Currently busy crunching entities
Message 1 of 254
by: mrwmitty
on: 07/07/2017 | 13:02
TM says we will be right out by 2019 and she's the boss lol
Take it how you like, It`s meant as a friendly post.
Regards, Walter.
Message 2 of 254
on: 07/07/2017 | 13:37

mrwmitty wrote:

TM says we will be right out by 2019 and she's the boss lol

Yes, indeed. With the pants down and the unspeakables shrivelled in the cold wind for everyone to laugh at.

Message 3 of 254
on: 07/07/2017 | 13:54

Also, since you can't edit the topic's title, here's the missing apostrophe from 'week's' : 

'

Message 4 of 254
by: sherwood
on: 07/07/2017 | 13:56
I'm with @mrwmitty - I'll put my faith in TM and her negotiating team as well.
Message 5 of 254
by: kaitroo
on: 07/07/2017 | 14:05
@becalel I didn't vote but if I had voted to leave I would not have been dreaming of having the USA as trade partners. I think that was the USA's dream not ours
Message 6 of 254
on: 07/07/2017 | 14:07

kaitroo wrote:

@becalel I didn't vote but if I had voted to leave I would not have been dreaming of having the USA as trade partners. I think that was the USA's dream not ours

This. Is. Beautiful. Heart Heart Heart Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 254
on: 07/07/2017 | 14:11

sherwood wrote:

I'm with @mrwmitty - I'll put my faith in TM and her negotiating team as well.

Which tem? David Davis, who doesn't even know how the single market works? Who has no idea what the economical consequences of 'no deal' would be? Or Liam Fox, who claims that in order to boost the UK economy post-Brexit, men should wear ties, to support the British tie-makers? Or would it be the PM herself, who never had and, one year on, still hasn't got any plan?

Message 8 of 254
by: snenklehen
on: 07/07/2017 | 14:14
Disagree with many of these points
Guilty of thought crimes - If there is hope, it lies in the proles.
Message 9 of 254
on: 07/07/2017 | 14:53

snenklehen wrote:

Disagree with many of these points

See? Even you don't disagree with all of those points. I find it quite telling Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 254