Community

Twitter CEO criticised for 'tone deaf' Myanmar tweets

Started by: andishdi
On: 10/12/2018 | 09:15
Replies: 1

by: andishdi
on: 10/12/2018 | 09:15

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46498876

I'm not sure about this one... Aren't there bad things happening everywhere? 

Should people visiting the UK apologise for ignoring the supposed poverty or the fact we once sold slaves?

Should I abandon my visit to the US and instead spend my time condemning their effect on climate change?

There are still businesses in Myanmar that support staff and their families... They might be completely against what the military and government are doing but nobody has thought to ask them, instead there's a blanket message... This place is bad...

I agree, the CEO might have been best keeping his comments to himself giving the situation, but 

do people have the right to completely write off a country and its people because of something they may have no choice over?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 2
by: majorincident
on: 10/12/2018 | 09:25

@andishdi wrote:

There are still businesses in Myanmar that support staff and their families... They might be completely against what the military and government are doing but nobody has thought to ask them, instead there's a blanket message... This place is bad...

Would you want to express dissent in a police state that has informers at every turn and risk arrest, a show trial and then imprisonment or the death penalty. Your family would also become non-people and subject to internal exile.  The brutality of such regimes cannot be understated but, hey, you are a free man and welcome to visit.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 2 of 2