Community

Virginia Atlantic

Started by: michaeldunha
On: 07/12/2018 | 17:18
Replies: 11

Highlighted
by: michaeldunha
on: 07/12/2018 | 17:18 edited: 07/12/2018 | 17:19

I have no problem with the right of people to take strike action, but why do they always seem go out of their way to ruin the plans of ordinary people? 

I actually avoid BA because of the militant unions

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46487672

Message 1 of 12
by: majorincident
on: 07/12/2018 | 17:35

It's one way of exerting maximum pressure on thick headed employers.  Workers have the right to withdraw their labour until this becomes a dictatorship.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves.
Message 2 of 12
by: bladerunner929
on: 07/12/2018 | 17:38

A strike of this nature will always have an impact on the plans of ordinary people. It may not even materialise due to the impact it will have, and be sorted out with an agreement both sides will accept. 

No point in a strike unless it is going to have some form of an impact. 

Message 3 of 12
by: nefarius
on: 07/12/2018 | 17:45

"I don't know why seem go out way" ? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 12
by: kenralph
on: 07/12/2018 | 18:11

@nefarius wrote:

"I don't know why seem go out way" ? 

I say I say...Speak English Boy...

Message 5 of 12
by: hassan_javed
on: 07/12/2018 | 21:09
ordinary people will suffer in the end
Message 6 of 12
by: snenklehen
on: 07/12/2018 | 21:14
I just avoid anything that puts money into Branson's pocket
Guilty of thought crimes - If there is hope, it lies in the proles.
Message 7 of 12
by: techiebloke
on: 07/12/2018 | 21:29

While it's fair to say that we have a lot of things we wouldn't such as Holiday Pay and Occupational Sick Pay because of the campaigns of the unions in the past, they can go too far at times.

I've been a member of a union since I started work to benefit from collective barging etc but have never once voted for strike action as it's ultimately pointless and may just vindicate the decision made by an employer anyway.

Jobs at risk? Yeah let's show 'em whose boss by not turning up for work.

Better to let the union trained negotiators do what they are employed to and negotiate on your behalf.

I don't think lack of recognition of a particular union is grounds for a strike but I do back strikes if the health of workers is at stake.

"Get your free SIM with £5 credit"

Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
Message 8 of 12
by: eileenusher
on: 07/12/2018 | 21:34
Because maximum impact at busy times like Christmas, new year, summer, is more likely to get the result required.
Message 9 of 12
by: andyslc
on: 08/12/2018 | 00:38

This is the biggest headache for unions when deciding to strike. Balancing maximum impact on the employer against public opinion. I think this time of year is always a bad one for unions, especially if it prevents people from reaching family get together in time.

Stupid thing is all they want is recognition of their union so they can represent their members. Unfortunately the law allows for companies to have a “sweetheart” union. That is one that really doesn’t conflict much with the employer. Once it has a favourable union on its books it has no obligation, statutory or otherwise to accept another. 

PPU members have worked to rule for two years to try and get Virgin to recognise them so I guess they consider this a last choice. Boots the pharmacists have played a similar game with pharmacists unions, trying to keep a meek and unrepresentative union favoured and thus barring any others. The pharmacists unions involved seem to have taken a different approach though and slowly seem to be getting somewhere:

https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/pda-unions-application-to-represent-bo...

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 10 of 12