Knowledge Base
Community

Watch out, There's a Scam about.

Started by: tokyobuta
On: 29/07/2019 | 13:04
Replies: 5

by: tokyobuta
on: 29/07/2019 | 13:04

Have had a whole bunch of scam texts, emails and calls on my home phone recently.  Scam texts are easy to spot, apart from the obvious scam content bad spelling or grammar usually give them away.  Ditto for emails.  The latest call was on my landline, a recorded message purporting to be from TalkTalk Technical Department to say that my internet connection was to be terminated.  

Handy hints for anyone worried - just don't reply to suspect texts and delete suspect emails or put the phone down without responding.  If you are concerned, contact your supplier via their main webpage or help number, and DO NOT respond to any text, email address or telephone number which the suspected scammer sends to you.  ( I was in touch with TalkTalk via the chat support on their webpage, and quickly confirmed that my account was OK.)

Message 1 of 6
by: kicker
on: 29/07/2019 | 13:18

There's too many of these scam emails and texts going around at the moment, but thanks for the tip off @tokyobuta 

Get a free giffgaff SimEconomy is the wealth of the poor and the wisdom of the rich.
Message 3 of 6
by: msmon55
on: 29/07/2019 | 13:41

Very good advice @tokyobuta and thanks for the reminder to remain vigilant. 👍👏

Message 4 of 6
by: tokyobuta
on: 30/07/2019 | 08:41

@tokyobutawrote:

Have had a whole bunch of scam texts, emails and calls on my home phone recently.  Scam texts are easy to spot, apart from the obvious scam content bad spelling or grammar usually give them away.  Ditto for emails.  The latest call was on my landline, a recorded message purporting to be from TalkTalk Technical Department to say that my internet connection was to be terminated.  

Handy hints for anyone worried - just don't reply to suspect texts and delete suspect emails or put the phone down without responding.  If you are concerned, contact your supplier via their main webpage or help number, and DO NOT respond to any text, email address or telephone number which the suspected scammer sends to you.  ( I was in touch with TalkTalk via the chat support on their webpage, and quickly confirmed that my account was OK.)

Just an update.  I cannot believe these bug**rs.  I got a second call yesterday evening, this time from an actual person, not a recording, claiming to be from the Technical Department of TalkTalk.  The individual who called had a very strong South Asian accent.  I'm afraid that I gave him a lesson in extremely strong English before firmly putting the phone down.

Message 5 of 6
by: tinawilliams0410
on: 30/07/2019 | 08:52
Hi
Yes my mother has had a few scams on the landline and mobile.The phone rang when I visited my mother a few days ago and it was a recorded message saying because she hadn't signed a tax form they had sent her, that the police would be sent to her house.I have warned my mother but imagine someone who falls for it.these scams can be very worrying for elderly people.tina.Good message 👍
Message 6 of 6