Knowledge Base
Community

Which Android Phone??

Started by: libz80
On: 09/12/2018 | 18:35
Replies: 13

by: libz80
on: 09/12/2018 | 18:35

I'm upgrading after Xmas. In your honest opinion, what should I upgrade too?? Any suggestions welcome!! I've always had Samsung! 

Message 1 of 14
by: k89bpa
on: 09/12/2018 | 23:56
What are you upgrading from?

What are the three most common things you do on your phone? What are the three most important handset features for you? What is your budget?

There's little point in anyone recommending a handset for you without having some idea of the above. Everyone might as well say the Samsung Note 9 512GB, a £1000+ handset, but that would be useless if you only actually need the capabilities which a £200 handset would give you.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 3 of 14
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 10/12/2018 | 02:21

#

@libz80 what is your current phone and what is your budget 

Once we get these answers can give suggestions

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 14
by: kenralph
on: 10/12/2018 | 05:56

@libz80 wrote:

I'm upgrading after Xmas. In your honest opinion, what should I upgrade too?? Any suggestions welcome!! I've always had Samsung! 

If it's a 'free upgrade' then choose another Samsung, if you are buying, I'd suggest you look at the Huawei phones, superb value.

Message 5 of 14
by: rjs75
on: 10/12/2018 | 07:04

I’ve had an Alcatel and it was reasonably priced and did the job 👌

https://www.giffgaff.com/spread/advertise/signature_01_310x80
Message 6 of 14
by: rhort
on: 10/12/2018 | 07:20
If you check http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3 you can input your requirements (things you want/don't want/don't care about) and it will list all the phones that offer just the features you need, meaning you can easily pick the one that suits you best.

I use that site myself when I'm looking for a new handset and one of the great things about it is the option to compare multiple handsets side-by-side, showing all the features in turn, allowing you to make a much more informed decision.
Message 7 of 14
by: tinawilliams0410
on: 10/12/2018 | 07:27

Quite a few of my friends and family have bought Honor phone.  The 8X is very good value https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/mobile-phones-and-accessories/sim-free-phones/c:30147/bran... -  somebody I know who has always bought flagship phones has raved about the 8X they bought from Argos.

Another friend has the Honor 10 - about £100 more, but better insides etc - depends really what you want to use for.  My husband has an older Honor 9 and the camera is superb, very fast phone with gret screen too.  I would buy a Honor over lots of other flagship phones.

Message 8 of 14
by: alyceb
on: 10/12/2018 | 07:43
I recently went from an iphone se to Nokia 5.1, it does basically the same (at least I think it does) but for £149, which is about 1/5 of a new iPhone
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
by: mja88
on: 10/12/2018 | 08:53
It depends how conscious you are of getting value for money.
You can get flagship spec phones for £900 or exactly the same spec phones for half that. It also depends if you want a very specific feature or are for some reason brand loyal.

Personally I got an LG G7, for £450. For my needs it is the best phone in the world and far superior to an £800 Pixel. Why? Because 90% of my phone usage is music, with wired headphones. The G7 has a headphone jack and the best audio hardware on any phone. The camera however, while acceptable for general usage, is not as feature rich as what Samsung offers.

Just whatever you do, do not be afraid to buy cheaper. Top dollar doesn't necessarily mean top phone for your use. Have a play with some you may be surprised at what you can get for your money.
Message 10 of 14