Knowledge Base
Community

Why do you love giffgaff

Started by: jas215
On: 28/01/2019 | 23:46
Replies: 317

by: jason1973tess
on: 09/08/2019 | 00:27

if you don't love giffgaff and all the nice people and all the good and the hard work that is put in. then you must be init for the money                                          But me personally i like to keep myself busy becose my mum at cancer and thera's not much i can about a job right now.                                                            So why not help all you lovely prople in finding your way throught giffaff and having a laugh at the same time 

Message 311 of 318
by: jesi23
on: 09/08/2019 | 17:14

@pubru83 Welcome. I think you might have been confusing Airtime credit with goodybag bundles.

If you just put ‘credit’ on the phone, the credit will drop quite quickly, since PAYG charges are 15p/minute, 5p/text (SMS) or 16p for MMS to uk number, or 5p/MB data.

If you bought a £20 goodybag it would come with 20GB data (current allowance) or after 14 August 2019, 40GB data. When I go camping, I use an iPhone as a HotSpot for my iPad, three laptops, a netbook, and sometimes an additional iPhone (as it prefers WiFi to using its own data) if my husband doesn’t turn his WiFi off … 

I have never run out of data with the £20 goodybag ~ and before they discontinued it, I used to use the £18 goodybag (with 9GB +1GB free if I ‘ran out’) for the same purpose. I expect if you actually bought Goodybags you would not run out of data.

I think maybe it is not clear that to receive the data allowances you need to buy a goodybag, not just put credit on the phone. Once you have added credit, you want to immediately buy a goodybag from your credit balance.

🤡

Please don't forget to come back after your problem has been resolved and select a best answer.
Also consider a kudos [+★] for any member who helped.
Message 312 of 318
by: pubru83
on: 09/08/2019 | 19:39 edited: 09/08/2019 | 19:42

@jesi23wrote:

@pubru83 Welcome. I think you might have been confusing Airtime credit with goodybag bundles.

If you just put ‘credit’ on the phone, the credit will drop quite quickly, since PAYG charges are 15p/minute, 5p/text (SMS) or 16p for MMS to uk number, or 5p/MB data.

If you bought a £20 goodybag it would come with 20GB data (current allowance) or after 14 August 2019, 40GB data. When I go camping, I use an iPhone as a HotSpot for my iPad, three laptops, a netbook, and sometimes an additional iPhone (as it prefers WiFi to using its own data) if my husband doesn’t turn his WiFi off … 

I have never run out of data with the £20 goodybag ~ and before they discontinued it, I used to use the £18 goodybag (with 9GB +1GB free if I ‘ran out’) for the same purpose. I expect if you actually bought Goodybags you would not run out of data.

I think maybe it is not clear that to receive the data allowances you need to buy a goodybag, not just put credit on the phone. Once you have added credit, you want to immediately buy a goodybag from your credit balance.

🤡

I didn't buy a 'goodybag', because I wanted the data for less than a week.  I didn't want to get tied into a system for even a month, that I didn't want or need - the problem with many of these, is that customers are 'auto' charged recurring payments . . . unless they remember to cancel.

PAYG is a system that appeals to consumers, because the basic premise is (or should be) that it is simple and easy to use.  The problem for PAYG customers, is that they are penalised by phone service providers such as giffgaff, EE etc.  By definition, PAYG customers are occasional customers who make irregular and infrequent payments; giffgaff much prefer, that consumers are 'tied-in' to a service - such as 'goodybags', whether the consumer wants to be or not.  With regard to PAYG customers, giffgaff charge them prohibitive rates - in the expectation that they'll transfer over to 'goodybags'.

By contrast with PAYG, giffgaff offer consumers 7 (SEVEN) different options of 'goodbags' - none of which suit me . . . I just want to buy data and use it, as and when I want.  

About 20 years ago, I finished my MBA; this involved looking at case studies of many companies and investigating why some companies were more successful than others.  Take a look at giffgaff - PAYG customers are discouraged, by charging them prohibitive rates for data useage.  They'd much prefer, that their customers buy monthly  'goodybags'.

If you were to ask 1,000 people what was meant by the phrase 'PAYG', 999 who know that it means 'Pay As You Go'.  They'd know this, because it is a well-known, well-understood and frequently-used expression.

If you were to ask 1,000 people what was meant by the phrase 'goodybag', 999 who think of the bags that are given out to children at the end of a birthday party.  They'd think this, because it is a well-known, well-understood and frequently-used expression - in the context of childrens' parties.  

Incredibly, giffgaff have decided to favour 'goodybag' customers in preference to their PAYG customers.  Some Marketing genius, has come up with the notion of bringing in the 'goodybag' phrase, which 99.9% of the population understand - but NOT in the context of giffgaff or mobile phone data.  What is even more amazing, is that there are gullible folk who actually fall for this kind of thing - dress something up, give it a fanciful name and sell it as a 'snake oil'.

For £80,000pa, I could work for giffgaff - the first step, would be to devise a coherent marketing strategy, rather than some fanciful notion as to what might appeal to consumers.

I won't be buying any 'goodybags' - well, not data ones.  

Message 313 of 318
by: pubru83
on: 09/08/2019 | 19:54
*** ALERT ***

We have a non-conformist in our midst . . . good for you !

Be careful of uttering such views; you'll be taken away in a white van for re-programming. You will be locked in a darkened room and forced to listen to Americanisms and loud rap music. Six months should be enough, but if you are more than ten years old, you might be too old to learn how to be 'hip' and 'with it'.

I think that you've made the best post this month - your prize will be a baseball cap . . . be sure to wear it back-to-front.
Message 314 of 318
by: jesi23
on: 10/08/2019 | 02:10

@pubru83  My point was really, that I am a PAYG customer who buys Goodybags if and when I want to use them. You are NOT tied into a contract. You do not need to have a ‘recurring’ goodybag (I have NEVER recurred my goodybag), and you can set up your account without saving your bank or PayPal details, only using them when you want (and deleting immediately, in the case of PayPal). 

You can also go for as long as long as you like without buying any goodybag without losing any of your benefits (free giffgaff-to-giffgaff for 93 days; payback; extra 1GB free on Goodybags £10+ after you have ever bought three Goodybags)

Click to reveal
… I have access to WiFi for iPad most of the time, so I have gone for nearly three months once only spending £1.36 on data during that time … but if I am going to be out-and-about without WiFi, or camping, I will buy a goodybag of the appropriate size. The iPad only uses data … cannot call or send texts … so it is ‘data-usage-only’ despite the allowances. I can also link to a phone HotSpot instead of using my own data from the iPad cellular SIM. Of course, you need to use the SIM within every 6 months in order that it not be deactivated or during final 3 months previous to payout (June and December) in order to qualify for your Payback.

Your goodybag can start ANY day of ANY month; you can even start a NEW goodybag early if you run out of data (or, in the case of the two lowest Goodybags, if you run out of minutes). You can change your goodybag every time if you want.

Any fresh input of cash/voucher will reset 93 days worth of free giffgaff-to-giffgaff calls and SMS texts: thus, if most of your contacts are on giffgaff you will not need a goodybag for calls/texts unless you will be spending over 40 minutes on non-giffgaff calls, or making more than 40 calls of less than a minute (minimum call charge 1 minute). 

Thus, it has advantages of PAYG as well as benefits of bundles, when you choose to use a bundle rather than pure PAYG.

🤡 

Please don't forget to come back after your problem has been resolved and select a best answer.
Also consider a kudos [+★] for any member who helped.
Message 315 of 318
Highlighted
by: wtsup43
on: 12/08/2019 | 00:12
I don't understand why you are so riled up by "goodybags" aka PAYG bundle. The advantage of PAYG bundle is flexibility. To buy more data AND not tied to a contract, obviously you would have to pay more. Giffgaff merely named their bundles "goodybags". What is the problem with that? If you don't buy goodybags then maybe you shouldn't complain all your credits are gone lol.
Message 316 of 318
by: marcd19
on: 17/08/2019 | 09:45

I have been with Giffgaff on and off for years, have tried numerous other networks and still I think Giffgaff comes out on top for network, value for money, what's there not to like..

Happy giffgaffer 😁😁😁😁

Message 317 of 318
by: skylar19
on: 18/08/2019 | 00:10 edited: 18/08/2019 | 00:18

It is just amazing. The care and support from the community and agents here is above and beyond anything I have ever experienced. No other mobile company can compare to this one. It is just marvellous. After 6 years of being on contract with other mobile companies and being put through absolute hell battling with them over various issues going round and round in circles with them I finally told Vodafone to shove their contract and customer service where the sun doesn't shine last night. I have now walked free from my contact at zero cost to me after throwing the legal book at them. Buying my new handset and setting up with you guys properly on Tuesday. I can't wait best thing I ever did good riddance to these big wigs. Giffgaff needs more of the public to tell these big wigs such as Vodafone EE and 02 where to shove their company just the same and trade for something that beats them all with giffgaff of course !!! 😂😂😂😎

Message 318 of 318