Knowledge Base
Community

Your wishes

Started by: darreng67
On: 12/01/2019 | 06:47
Replies: 24

by: k89bpa
on: 12/01/2019 | 13:12
A touching story @gizzblue but it doesn't change my view.

Just as I respect the right of people to choose to do what they wish with their bodies, it would be nice if others would show others the same courtesy.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 11 of 25
by: bluenose5
on: 12/01/2019 | 13:16
I am down as a Donor. Yes I would also accept. Otherwise if we all said NO. What's the Point of being a Donor.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 25
by: gizzblue
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:22 edited: 12/01/2019 | 15:24

Firstly it wasn't meant to be touching ,just that due to the unselfish nature of one ,another gets a chance at life.
Im not forcing my views on anybody or telling everyone that have to do this or that @k89bpa merely stating my opinion . ..not wanting to help a life once your own has ended as I see it being selfish to humanity...simple really .

Maybe the right to choose should be removed unless madical reasons dictate .

Message 13 of 25
on: 12/01/2019 | 16:41

@gizzblue wrote:

...not wanting to help a life once your own has ended as I see it being selfish to humanity...

Wanting to live beyond your natural lifespan, or wanting someone else to do so could be described in exactly the same manner, especially considering the additional resources required to do so, not just in terms of the transplant itself but also in terms of the added pressure on food, water and fuel supplies of this extra time and and ongoing and further care needed.

So then it becomes a question of which act is the most selfish? The act of the person not engaged in the above or the act of the person engaged in the above?

But we are off on a tangent which is going to lead nowhere other than irritation if we start picking apart the selfishness of these acts and choices, and ultimately it doesn't matter anyway for it is a question for every person individually and their own conscience. 

@gizzblue wrote:

Maybe the right to choose should be removed unless madical reasons dictate .

They're trying to do that, hasn't it already come in that people will be considered donors unless they specifically opt out? I know they were talking about that but don't know if it has passed whatever it needed to pass. 

The next stage will be to make donations compulsory which will lead to people like me having to deliberately cause harm to ourselves, (or taking ourselves off to die in secret so our bodies are discovered long after our organs have ceased to be viable), in order to ensure our wishes are followed.

I expect there will be the typical religious exemptions so that's another option I guess.

Message 14 of 25
by: xxeclairexx
on: 12/01/2019 | 16:58

I would donate organs it dont bother me I think its a good thing my only thing would be that I would want my organs to go to somebody who is ill due to no fault of their own I wouldnt want my organs to go to somebody who has inflicted problems on themselfs like alcholic.

Message 15 of 25
by: trudy81
on: 12/01/2019 | 17:04
@bigdaddy0714

Mine and Mr Trudy thoughts completely.
Message 16 of 25
by: c_lockett
on: 12/01/2019 | 18:59
I do carry a donor card, even though I'm not entirely comfortable with it. But my late Mother bless her, had an eye disease and she received the corneas from someone who had died. It was amazing to watch the gradual improvement in my my Mother's sight as she was recovering. But sadly she never really had the full benefit from the cornea transplant as she died a few months later. Even so I was grateful to that person, who gave my Mother the chance of havng normal sight. @darren67
Message 17 of 25
by: tricia3006
on: 13/01/2019 | 00:29
@mahooli do you mind me asking why you wouldn’t accept an organ. Just curious as to why when you are willing to donate. 😊
Message 18 of 25
by: tricia3006
on: 13/01/2019 | 00:34

Wow! I and saddened and surprised as the replies saying no and no or yes to donating but no to receiving. 

I believe eve that life is a wonderful thing, and if we can do anything to prolong it or enrich it then all the better by me. I am a diner and would happily accept an organ. 

Message 19 of 25
Highlighted
on: 13/01/2019 | 02:54

@tricia3006 wrote:

I am a diner and would happily accept an organ. 

Whoa there! This thread took a turn! :-D 

(Sorry I saw it and couldn't resist, that's the funniest typo I've seen in some time, lol)

@tricia3006 wrote:

I believe eve that life is a wonderful thing, and if we can do anything to prolong it or enrich it then all the better by me. 

Life isn't a wonderful thing @tricia3006.

It has wonderful moments, but the truth is that if you actually break down what life is into it's constituent parts you'll find what it is really like.

For instance did you know the average human being is reckoned to spend a whopping 33 years of their life sleeping or trying to get to sleep? Or that we spend almost a year of our lives stood in queues?

That's 34 years gone to absolutely nothing. Just wasted.

Then you've got the eight years, (rounding down), that we spend in front of the telly, and the three years and rising, (rounding down), that we spend looking at our phones and all of a sudden that's 45 years gone. 

Add twelve years of work, a year and a half of overtime and a year of school, (excluding university), and you're now up to a whopping 59 years gone and you've yet to do a single thing that you actually want to do. 

I'm sorry to be Debbie downer here, but all this "life is wonderful"/"life is a gift" stuff is nonsense. It's literally the stuff of fantasy. 

In an average 80 year lifespan we only get about eight years for the good stuff and even then we still have to make the effort and work hard to get that good stuff, many simply can't be bothered a lot of the time because they're too tired from all the other stuff, or they're ill, or some other reason. 

Yay! 

I'm serious, break it down, then come back and tell me that it's "wonderful" or "a gift" and worth prolonging, (which only tags time onto the end when your body is breaking down and you're becoming less and less able over time, as you slowly fade away to nothing). 

Like I said, sorry to be Debbie downer, but I can't tell myself the lies that other people do, I can't bury my head in the sand and pretend it's all roses. Like I said, there are wonderful moments, but most of it...

Meh!

Message 20 of 25