Knowledge Base
Community

workers' rights and brexit

Started by: tradertall
On: 11/02/2019 | 12:25
Replies: 11

by: tradertall
on: 11/02/2019 | 12:25 edited: 11/02/2019 | 12:26

In her letter to Jeremy Corbyn,Theresa May refuses to ensure employment rights will keep pace with those of workers in the EU.

She says she will "consider" giving Parliament "the option" to follow suit on a case by case basis.

We know what Tory governments will do. Nothing.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/101747/read-full-theresa-mays-brexi...

Not only are current promises of non-regression weak, it’s been a central demand of unions including GMB that employment rights are protected *going forward* so UK workers are not left behind. The fact the PM still won’t offer that even now vindicates everyone’s concerns.

The Tories have doubled the time before someone can pursue unlawful dismissal to 2 years. They introduced tribunal fees to make it harder to access justice. The UK would not even have paid maternity leave without the EU.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 12
by: andishdi
on: 11/02/2019 | 12:30

Trust a remainer to be willing to sign up to something blindly having no idea of what it'll become in 30 years time...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 12
by: alyceb
on: 11/02/2019 | 18:18
They'll be stupid to take away rights
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 12
by: datdad
on: 12/02/2019 | 16:45

@alyceb
Wow, they've been taking rights away for years. Not noticed??
best wishes

Message 4 of 12
by: andyxhill
on: 12/02/2019 | 16:47

She correctly says we will not just going along with whatever the EU says.That's what we voted for,

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 12
by: k89bpa
on: 12/02/2019 | 17:09
Holy crap, lol

May have to have a read of this letter.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 6 of 12
by: acetech
on: 12/02/2019 | 17:39
Though this is not 'exactky' what she said was it....

Though even if it was why would she promise to keep in line with the EU? Why would any other PM for that matter? Part of the point of leaving is to not follow the EU regardless.

It reads to me that this is primarily regarding the northern Ireland backstop and the commitment to no regression in workers rights, whereby it would be considered to legislate this and further commitment to UK law.

Though it does say the government are prepared to commit to asking parliament if it wants to follow suit on EU changes....

What else does this mean to you?

"we are also prepared to commit to asking Parliament whether it wishes to follow suit whenever the EU changes its standards in these areas"

But hey, don't let a let a thing like truth and honesty stop you......

Though honestly I'm not sure what else I should expect!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 12
by: mij_sky
on: 12/02/2019 | 17:39
this is beyond joke .... but lets see what happens
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
by: hassan_javed
on: 12/02/2019 | 20:21
i would not put it past may
she is already dragging here feet
Message 9 of 12
by: jolog
on: 12/02/2019 | 21:13
There are plenty of Labour Brexiters, I doubt they all signed up to a Tory Brexit, did they? The Tories do not own Brexit, but they are trying to hijack it with their own ideology. Do you really trust them to look after your civil rights? I certainly don't.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 12