How do I activate my SIM?
How do I activate my SIM?
Once your SIM arrives you will need to head online to activate it - which lets our system know it has arrived safe and sound.
To activate your SIM just follow these easy steps
- Handy Video
- Step 1 - Insert the SIM into your phone
- Step 2 - Activate your SIM
- Step 3 - Register your account
- Step 4 - Select your product
- Step 5 - Register your personal details
- Handy Links
Here is a quick video that will guide you through all the steps.
If you would rather read about it check out the section below:
Step 1 - Insert the SIM into your phone
Once you have inserted your SIM card in your phone, your network provider will be changed to giffgaff. If your phone rejects your SIM card, it may be locked to another operator, find more information about unlocking your phone here.
If your phone is not locked, you may want to check the coverage in your area.
Step 2 - Activate your SIM
- Go to the activation page
- Enter the 6 digit code (as shown in the picture below)
- Click on "Continue"
If you have trouble using the 6 digit code, you can use the 13 or 19 digit code which is printed on the SIM card itself. A nano SIM serial number will always be 894411 plus the visible numbers on your nano SIM.
Step 3 - Register your account
If you don't already have a giffgaff account, now is the time to create one.
This account will be used to manage your giffgaff phone and participate in the community. Make sure to chose a nice member name (user name) as it won't be possible to change it afterward. Your password needs to be at least 8 characters long. It must contain at least one letter and at least one number or special character.
Step 4 - Select your product
You can select a product according to your payment method:
If you are using a debit or credit card, you can purchase:
Please note that if you are using a BBM then this service must be enabled in settings.
If you are using a voucher, you can redeem it to purchase airtime credit. You'll be then able to convert the credit into a goodybag.
Purchasing with a credit / debit card
- Select the product you want to purchase
- Review your basket and click on "Continue"
- If you have selected a goodybag, and you set monthly recurrence the goodybag will recur automatically from then. You can choose to disable the recurrence later in "My giffgaff". If you have selected a credit value, you are proposed to auto top-up.
- Fill in your card details and address.
- Click on "Confirm order'.
These credit / debit cards are accepted: Visa credit / debit (including Electron), MasterCard credit / debit (including Switch). We don't accept American Express or Diners Club - if you have one of these cards, you'll need to purchase a top-up voucher.
Purchasing with a voucher
- Select "airtime credit" in the "from a top-up voucher" part of the page
- Enter the 16 digit code printed on your voucher
- Submit it.
See this article if you wish to exchange your credit for a goodybag
Step 5 - Register your personal details
Enter the correct details of the person who will be using the SIM. Verify your address is correct.
If someone has recommended giffgaff to you, help them out by entering their phone number into the "phone number" box and they'll get 200 payback points.
If a friend ordered the SIM for you then you won't have this option, but don't worry, he / she'll automatically get the points.
We advise to use the "get giffgaffed" wizard to confirm your phone settings are all correct. Incomplete settings could affect your usage of Internet or MMS.
- Complete guide to activating your SIM
- How long does it take for my SIM to be activated?
- I have lost my activation code, what can I do?
- Getting started on giffgaff
- Where can I buy giffgaff top up vouchers?