Knowledge Base
Community

£18/9GB Goodybag

Started by: olwen_roy
On: 01/04/2018 | 17:50
Replies: 19

by: olwen_roy
on: 01/04/2018 | 17:50

My 9GB goody bag started at midnight last night when I was asleep. When I awoke at 8am my data allowance was 7.87GB! My personal hotspot was switched off so I am at a loss to understand how I could have used 1.13GB. All app updates were last done 2 days ago. Could Giffgaff have only given me 8GB? Any ideas? Many thanks. Olwen

Message 1 of 20
by: sneaky007
on: 01/04/2018 | 17:52
@olwen_roy hi there,

No you will have gotten the full 9GB of mobile data. Are you sure the mobile data was switched off? Apps running in the background can occasionally make use of the mobile data. The most common apps are social media apps such as Instagram, Facebook and Twitter deal with push notifications. It is best to switch off the data option under the device settings when the mobile data is not in use.

if you feel this is incorrect then I suggest you ask a giffgaff agent to investigate. To get in contact with a giffgaff agent please follow this https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Top-up-balances-and-goodybags/goodybag-allowances-or-credit-ba... link , please note during busy times a giffgaff agent can take up to 24 hours to respond to your query.

A agent reply can be found in the "Messages From Agents" box that is located on your "My Giffgaff" page or follow this link https://giffgaff.com/support/questions to access it directly.
GET A FREE SIM WITH £5 AIRTIME CREDIT
Message 2 of 20
by: willi9802
on: 01/04/2018 | 17:52
I don’t know, best thing is to switch off mobile data on phone when not needed
Message 3 of 20
by: figment_uk
on: 01/04/2018 | 17:58

@olwen_roy

If it was a queued or recurring goodybag, it actually started during the changeover period between 21:00 and 23:59 last night.

Join giffgaff during May 2019 for a chance to win goodies worth around £2500. Order a SIM now using the link below

Message 4 of 20
by: shibolleth
on: 01/04/2018 | 18:00
Hiya @olwen_roy
Phones use a lot of data in the background so it probably used 1.13GB on its own. You can go into your settings app and look under mobile data and it should show you what used that data overnight. You should stop those applications (if they are not vital) from using mobile data altogether and only allow it to use the internet over WIFI. Giffgaff definitely gave you the right amount of data
Hopefully this helped; have a nice day-
shibolleth
Always mark a best answer and kudo if an answer helped you! It takes less than a second and it helps out the community significantly! Thank you!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 20
by: sloz
on: 01/04/2018 | 18:02
@olwen_roy
Hi, did you purchase it manually to queue?
Or was it set to recur automatically?

If either of those happened
Did you use much data yesterday evening?

Goodybags will always switch over early, usually in the last hour before midnight,
But could switch over anytime from....
10pm if it's queued
9pm if its set to recur
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 20
on: 01/04/2018 | 18:29
Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 20
on: 01/04/2018 | 18:31
Thanks for your help.
Message 9 of 20
on: 01/04/2018 | 18:32
Thanks for your help - the goodybag was queued.
Message 10 of 20