I have to re-open a thread on this really frustrating problem that I've been unable to permanently fix. I believe the problem has been happening for a good 2 or 3 months at least - I have lost track. Possibly related to the IOS 5.0.1 update.
I realise there are many many separate posts on this, but here's my take.
PROBLEM: The iphone shows full 3G connection but there is no data or phone connection.
FREQUENCY: Happens almost every time that the phone temporarily loses connection, no matter the length of time (i.e. going into a lift, going underground). On reconnection, it shows full bars, but I get "no internet connection" error messages in all of the apps. I've also noticed it occassionally happens when I leave the house and the phone switches from WiFi to 3G.
The following have worked to restore data connection:
1) Switching phone off and back on - solves the problem 90% of the time.
2) Enabling and then disabling airplane mode - solves the problem 50% of the time.
3) Disabling and then re-enabling 3G cellular data - solves the problem 50% of the time.
4) Taking out the sim card and re-inserting - solves the problem 50% of the time.
5) Deleting/clearing the GiffGaff connection profile and re-entering all of the giffgaff.com settings - solves the problem 50% of the time.
Of course, these are not satisfactory measures as I find myself doing one or more of the above at least 3-4 times a day. Not to mention the times I don't realise there's a problem, and no one can get through to me.
I do not agree with the following comments/suggestions that I have come across:
- faulty/dirty SIM (the fact is, it works most of the time)
- faulty phone (again, I doubt this is the cause as it does work most of the time)
- O2 issue (every time I check the o2 status website, it is always all good. Also, this happens both at work and near home, so I doubt its an O2 base station issue.)
- incorrect settings (I've covered this above - and again, it works most of the time, so it can't be a settings issue)
This hapens on an iPad with iOS 5.1 also.
You are NOT alone.
I use the power off and on method and it works every time (so far) for me.
I have taken my iPad into the Apple store to see the Guru's .. They say it is fine ... I agree with them . My O2 SIM never had this problem at all.