Community

£5 lab - can't top up by £5?

Started by: jk_1989
On: 15/10/2010 | 10:56
Replies: 9

by: jk_1989
on: 15/10/2010 | 10:56

Hello,

I am using a Giffgaff SIM temporarily for organising a charity event, taking place in 3 weeks time. I purchased the Giffgaff lab yesterday for £5, but I was not aware that you also have to top up again in order to make use of the calls and texts!!

Now I'm stuck with having to top-up another £10, as there is no £5 top-up option. I will only need £5 of credit though as it's just a temporary SIM, so that extra £5 of charity money has gone to waste... not impressed! Why is there not a £5 top-up option?

Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
by: nnj10
on: 15/10/2010 | 10:58

AFAIK, GiffGaff's reposne has been that it costs in the transaction fees, so it is not viable to have £5 top-ups.

Message 2 of 10
by: dik
on: 15/10/2010 | 11:00

Hi,

are you sure you have activated your sim with just a labs bag? ie: does your number show on my giffgaff page?..dik

Message 3 of 10
by: cola
on: 15/10/2010 | 11:01

You Could send 30 spread the word emails out this month from your account and earn £15 in december bringing the cost to zero.

If I helped you or you now realise how cool I am, hit the red star below to give me Kudos Smiley Happy...If your question has been answered then click on the "Accept as Solution" to close the query down & let me know you are sorted!!!
Message 4 of 10
by: lucid
on: 15/10/2010 | 11:11 edited: 15/10/2010 | 11:36

Just one question though... when you first activated your sim you would have had to have activate it with £10 credit.

If you then purchased the £5 labs goodybag, that would still leave you with an available £5 credit.

So is this a sim you've had for a while and have already used up the initial activation credit?

Or is it that you DO have £5 credit, and just wish to top up with a further £5 to bring the total to £10?

Here's an idea... depending on the event... why not promote giffgaff at the event (order yourself some sims to give away to those who are looking for a cheap phone deal)... for each person who signs up, you'll get 500 points (£5) that you can cash in come december and give to the charity. You'll be getting extra money for the charity, the people interested will be getting onboard a great cheap phone company... plus they will all get £5 extra credit when they sign up for you introducing them... and they'll also know that by swapping to giff gaff they've also donated £5 to the charity. 

Message 5 of 10
by: simplyskate
on: 15/10/2010 | 12:33

Okay I've got another idea. If you joined giffgaff before the 3rd October 2010 then you will qualify for giffgaffs current refer a friend promotion.

For the first friend activation during October you will earn your normal £5 cashback PLUS £10 credit, which you can then use for your giffgaff labs calls.

Go here for more info.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-and-News/Get-10-extra-credit-this-month-for-introducing-a-f...

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 10
on: 15/10/2010 | 13:25

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Lucid - I got the SIM a while ago, bought a £5 goodybag, used that up, and then of course was left with £0 credit. Now I need to top-up again (as I will definitely only need to use £5), I thought I'd go for the Lab as it seemed like the perfect option, so I paid £5 for that on it's own. If I'd have realised I'd have topped up with £10 credit, then purchased the £5 Lab afterwards!

Unfortunately I need the credit today so I'll just have to top up £10 I guess... don't have time to wait for points to add up. Like the idea about promoting Giffgaff at the event though! But unfortunately we have a deadline by which all the money needs to be in, which well before December so not sure that would work out.

Thanks though for your suggestions!

Message 7 of 10
by: sim84
on: 15/10/2010 | 13:35
I agree have seen others on here in a similar situation, one member has posted it on the Ideas page if it gets populer with kudos ect thay may advise why thay can not offer it or even maby consider adding the feature, who knows. http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Submit-Great-giffgaff-Ideas/Add-a-5-credit-or-Goodie-bag-top-up-for...
If my reply helps you in any way do leave me KUDOS (Hit star pic), Thanks
Need a iphone Micro sim with £5 bonus when you top up just email me your details.
Or
Get a free Giffgaff SimA Standard Sim with £5.
Message 8 of 10
by: simplyskate
on: 15/10/2010 | 13:41

Have you got any more sims lying around? If so you could get someone to join today and you'd then get the £10 credit for free with the offer I mentioned.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 10
on: 15/10/2010 | 13:46

Unfortunately no one I know wants to join Giffgaff right now (and they have to top-up £10 before the SIm is activated right?), and I need the credit today! Looks like I'm stuck!

Message 10 of 10