Started by: will23
On: 22/04/2014 | 14:24
Replies: 90

Go to best answer
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 22/04/2014 | 14:24 edited: 22/04/2014 | 15:21

Hi all,

We announced last week changes to the way that settings will work, here is the thread if you haven't seen it yet. It's great to see all the helpers and everyone else pick up on this so quickly and change the advice that they're giving. If you've already seen it and taken the quiz you will know that the advice for an iPhone user was to use the app to install the internet settings.

Apple have since contacted us to let us know that they consider applying APN settings through an app to go against their T&Cs. We are working with Apple to get to the best possible outcome for both parties, but unfortunately we have had to remove the functionality to apply settings from the My giffgaff app. The good news is that we have a back up solution; instead of using the app, iPhone and iPad users can now update their settings by visiting giff.ly/iphonesettings and it will do exactly the same as doing it through the app. This page looks like nonsense if you access it from anything other than an iPhone or iPad, but it won't do any harm either. It just doesn't look very pretty.

Key bits of information:

• The iOS app will no longer provide internet settings
  • To install internet settings on iOS devices just visit http://giff.ly/iphonesettings on the device.

Because we made this change very quickly after we announced major changes to settings we have made a new mini quiz and have sent it to everyone who has already passed the Pop Quiz. We've also updated the Pop Quiz: Death of 2020 so that anyone who takes it from now on has the new information. If you'd like to take the mini quiz then here is the link - Mini Quiz: Internet Settings - April 2014

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 1 of 91
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 24/04/2014 | 09:23

@scottoag wrote:
will I've tried the quiz MULTIPLE times, know the answers, but keeps moving me to next question saying incomplete answer or just ignoring my input.

I want to be able to answer appropriately, and do so. Just quiz won't let me complete. Use my moto g on with KitKat and Opera. Don't have a PC.

Any ideas young man?

It sounds like your best bet is to try a different browser on your phone then. Sometimes various browsers just don't work which is frustrating.

@stonelli wrote:

AGAIN, when is the KB page going to be updated to be correct?

Don't forget that some people are perfectly capable of searching for information in the Help section, and right now you are providing official informatoin that is incorrect.

I have to say that, in my mind, this is another bit of egg on your face.

You shouldn't  roll out stuff until all the elements are in place

The best place to discuss KB changes is in this thread - http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Contribute/A-Knowledge-Base-Run-By-You-Contribute-to-the-KB/td-p/12...

The KB is mostly in the hands of the members now, although we did update a lot of the articles. If you think any articles should also be removed then that's a good place to discuss it.

Former Community Manager 
Message 53 of 91
by: kanzachoudhry
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:31
Roger
IF I HELPED YOU, PLEASE GIVE KUDOS OR SET AS BEST ANSWER OR SOLUTION Smiley Happy Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 91
by: philbond
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:36 edited: 23/04/2014 | 15:37
I don't believe it! (victor Meldrew voice).

thanks for the update. How come apple have only just objected to this? any idea when the Apple IOS will install the updates? Also, I presume this still doesn't do the mms settings?
Retired Super Recruiter
Message 3 of 91
by: mattsmith100
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:37
I'm sure Apple get pleasure from ruining giffgaff functionality! Smiley Sad Smiley Tongue
Thanks for the info!
Don't forget to set this as "best answer" if this has helped! Get a free sim with £5 free credit by clicking below (no free credit if you order a sim direct from giffgaff!)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 91
Highlighted
by: why_bother
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:41
What advice do we offer if the member has no WiFi access?
Does this link install MMS settings or just internet?

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 91
by: bengalknights
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:44
So Apples way of making less customers is to not allow support to be provided by others to others
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 91
by: simonc_here
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:50

It's a little circular. get the internet setting by going on the internet! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 91
by: mattsmith100
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:51

@why_bother wrote:
What advice do we offer if the member has no WiFi access?
Does this link install MMS settings or just internet?

I guess people will have to have wifi to get the internet? Just like people had to have a computer to set up their iphones a few years ago.

I guess we'll have to tell them to find a mcdonalds and use the wifi there Smiley Tongue

Don't forget to set this as "best answer" if this has helped! Get a free sim with £5 free credit by clicking below (no free credit if you order a sim direct from giffgaff!)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 91
by: philbond
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:55
@mattsmith100 "other burger chains are available" lol

how did you get a "6"? is there a new gold quiz? I haven't seen one Smiley Sad
Retired Super Recruiter
Message 9 of 91
by: waqassheikh
on: 23/04/2014 | 15:55
Thanks for the update!
Get a free giffgaff Sim