Community

Another Giffgaff holiday let down

Started by: dave8819
On: 25/01/2019 | 20:33
Replies: 10

Go to best answer
by: dave8819
on: 25/01/2019 | 20:33

Yet another let down by giffgaff whilst holidaying in Spain.

Everything hunky dory for the first week, then my goody bag data ran out, so I renewed my goodybag early and opted for a higher data allowance goodybag to ensure Internet access for the remaining holiday.

Having renewed my goodybag the problems then started. The network dropped out and " no sim" displayed. Rebooted my phone and all was well... Until the same happened again. This repeated continually, extremely frustrated i compiled a log the following day and discovered that bizarrely the network dropout frequency was consistantly around 10 minutes, give or take.

The only way to get my phone up and running is by rebooting.

This exact same issue occurred on my last trip to Spain November last year. I assumed that it was a roaming issue, however the problem continued upon my return to the U.k.

As "no sim" is always displayed, I considered that there may be a fault with it so fitted a replacement sim, but alas this did not resolve the problem.

The issue persisted over many weeks to the point of dispair. Having spent hundreds of hours trying every option/setting possible - including recommendations via the giffgaff community), and spending the majority of my holiday faffing with my phone ( much to my partners annoyance) I concluded that it can only be a faulty phone, so I returned it ang bought a new phone. All was now back to normal again, so problem solved... Or so i thought.

I now have exactly the same issue as previously, and once again having my holiday spoiled by time consuming unnecessary interaction with my phone, and a very angry partner to boot.

I have amazingly discovered, quite by accident what is causing the issue.

When Google "location sharing" is enabled ( which is required to use sat nav using Google maps) the network drops out with "no sim" displayed, if I turn off location sharing the network immediately connects again, and remains fully operational, until I switch "location services" back on whereupon the 10 minute network dropout resumes. 

Coincidently I also use a Tp link MiFi to provide WiFi for myother devices (on giffgaff ). This has been working perfectly also... U til I topped up my account, whereupon it will no longer connect to the Internet, despite connecting to the local network (movistar, Spain). 

Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on with giffgaff? 

Message 1 of 11
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: eddiehk6
on: 28/01/2019 | 18:04
hi @dave8819

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. I personally have been to Spain and EU many times, and been able to use data successfully. Although it's annoying, from what you describe does not sound like an issue with the network.

Is your partner also on giffgaff and not having issues?

If so, then the issue is not network related.

The symptoms point heavily to do with your device, a strange software issue which disconnects the network when toggling location permissions.

Have you ever tested your SIM in another correctly configured unlocked device? e.g. your partner's phone, and does it work normally for data?

As for the TP link, was it correctly configured for mobile data? This would be a device settings issue, rather than a network problem. You need to set up the MiFi's APN, see the device manual in combination with this guide: http://giff.ly/gg_settings

Please remember to select a ___| Best Answer +★|___and give thanks to those who helped by clicking Kudos! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 11
by: johntaylor1212
on: 25/01/2019 | 20:36 edited: 25/01/2019 | 20:40
From what you have said I am guessing you are using android it is more than likely a issue with the apk for google maps and the not very good rom what brand of phone is it also just to be on the safe side you should do a sim swap but there is no connection between location and cellular network they are totally different parts of the os and phone and hardware
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 11
by: weelesleymc
on: 25/01/2019 | 20:57

wish i could help but ive never had a problem using google maps when i was in spain.ued it a fair bit while walking around

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 11
on: 26/01/2019 | 08:52
My phone is a Huawei P20 lite.
I have already done a sim swap so the sim doesn't appear to be the issue per se.

All was working perfectly OK for the first week.... Until early renewal of my goody bag.

My partner does not have any issues at all.

As I mentioned, my Tp-link dongle has lost connection into the Internet despite being connected to 4g network and having £12 credit, since topping up it has failed to have Internet access.
Message 4 of 11
on: 28/01/2019 | 00:05

Sadly, it appears that those at giffgaff are as clueless as I am on this as no resolution has been forthcoming.

I am not receiving the service I am paying for, clearly giffgaff is not fit for purpose as their network service in unreliable when out of the UK when it is relied upon most to maintain contact. 

I have no desire to continue with this bourdon, frustration and anxiety or spend the vast majority of my time on holiday frantically trying to get the service I have paid for from giffgaff to function... So upon my return to the UK I will be seriously considering dumping giffgaff for a network that works, or at least has a coherent customer support strategy in place to provide tangible assistance to their valued paying clients. 

Giffgaffs text message received upon setting foot on foreign soil reassuringly promising that it will be "just like being at home" holds no creedence.

Message 5 of 11
by: birdyboff
on: 28/01/2019 | 01:14

@dave8819

Hi, is your last phone and your new phone the same make? I.e Huawei. I've had Huawei phones in the past that have had signal problems (signal drop outs)  so that could possibly be the problem..

Try another network sim if possible in the same phone.If the problem persists then that would point to an issue with the phone. Also make sure you have Roaming disabled upon your return home..

Message 6 of 11
by: random112
on: 28/01/2019 | 02:48
Hi @dave8819

The 'no sim' issue is nothing to do with giffgaff or you being in Spain.
It means your phone can not read the sim card for some reason. Giffgaff really can not send a message to your phone telling it to stop reading the sim card every 10 minutes!

Because the phone stops reading the sim, it doesn't even go as far as trying to connect via giffgaff.

You've already done a sim swap which is great as that's the most common fix. Phones get hot inside and can also slightly bend or warp the cards overtime causing them to not make good connections in the phone.

Did you blow any dirt or dust out when you did the sim swap. This also really does cause the connection in your phone to break sometimes.

The next possibility is that your phone may be faulty or damaged, especially if its ever been dropped and something has become slightly loose inside.

If I were you I would leave giffgaff when you get back to the UK - as you suggest in your last post. I think it is the only way you will actually find that it isn't giffgaff breaking your phone on purpose, and you will find the same thing happens with the next network you go to, unless of course it is just some dirt or dust in your phone that you can clear.
Message 7 of 11
by: ross1408
on: 28/01/2019 | 17:52
For the maps issue

Instead of Google maps I use MapsMe app, works without data, and where there is no signal using phones Gps
https://maps.me/download/
If you find any of this useful consider an appropriate acknowledgement
Message 8 of 11
by: eddiehk6
on: 28/01/2019 | 18:04
hi @dave8819

Sorry to hear of your frustrations. I personally have been to Spain and EU many times, and been able to use data successfully. Although it's annoying, from what you describe does not sound like an issue with the network.

Is your partner also on giffgaff and not having issues?

If so, then the issue is not network related.

The symptoms point heavily to do with your device, a strange software issue which disconnects the network when toggling location permissions.

Have you ever tested your SIM in another correctly configured unlocked device? e.g. your partner's phone, and does it work normally for data?

As for the TP link, was it correctly configured for mobile data? This would be a device settings issue, rather than a network problem. You need to set up the MiFi's APN, see the device manual in combination with this guide: http://giff.ly/gg_settings

Please remember to select a ___| Best Answer +★|___and give thanks to those who helped by clicking Kudos! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 11
by: nefarius
on: 28/01/2019 | 18:12

If you are going to Spain again I suggest taking a spare device to try (if possible) to eliminate the fault. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 11