Knowledge Base
Community

Asking about compensation? Here are my thoughts........

Started by: maverick77_uk
On: 07/12/2018 | 11:01
Replies: 20

by: laura48211
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:29
@maverick77_uk well said i totally agree it was outwith GG control so im unsure what people are actually thinking they may get out of this.
Message 11 of 21
by: ander47068
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:33 edited: 07/12/2018 | 11:35

Apparently the cause was an expired certificate on Ericsson’s end. If that’s true it was completely preventable.

I don’t want to double post, so see my post here on it.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/gird-gaff-down/td-p/22755852

IF anyone is to blame, it would seem it’s Ericsson, not Giffgaff!

Message 12 of 21
by: phillip9974
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:38
Here's a thought, giffgaff have taken our money for services they haven't been able to provide.
I contacted O2 yesterday and they're not interested in other provider's customers, only their own. So, it is a giffgaff problem.
Message 13 of 21
by: seandykes83
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:39
well said mate, I tried to post my reply but said due to post flooding. but thank you for sharing your thoughts and after reflection I agree with you, this is a good network and no blame should be placed on giffgaffs door
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 14 of 21
by: mcilwraith
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:40

we live in a society who want compensation for everything

ambulance chasing legal companies don`t help

Message 15 of 21
Highlighted
by: emmanuelray
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:43
Yes, the network is great and I have no problems with it, but I have had a few issues in the past and had to contact the head office once, in order to sort it out. I had to email the CEO to get it sorted. Since then, everything has been fine and I am very happy with the service. Until yesterday!

I have just emailed the CEO, demanding compensation. For freelancers like myself this has caused a lot of hassle and a loss of income. I am so annoyed! I want my **bleep**ing compensation!!!! Still having problems today and have already lost a job, thanks to this problem.

Yesterday, I have lost exactly £255 and today, I have already lost another £85.

I am so **bleep**ing **bleep** off! I am going to speak to a lawyer I know and ask for advice on the best way to get compensation. I'll wait and see what the Giffgaff head office says. If I don't hear anything from them today, then I am also going to complain to Trading Standards. All those whose work has been affected by this problem, should demand compensation.
Message 16 of 21
by: mrsgrowler
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:45 edited: 07/12/2018 | 11:51

@hezp wrote:

Thank you, that's a lovely message. I am really suprised how many people have been asking for compensation! It's horrible.
I think they don't seem to understand the enormity of the problem, European wide & 32 million people involved.

And Japan @hezp don’t forget Japan!

I agree that the blame culture has gone into overdrive and it’s sad to see so many people who are blaming giffgaff for their own personal misfortunes.

They don’t seem understand that under the T&Cs giffgaff don’t a) guarantee the service and b) aren’t reponsible for consequential loss.

So for example those people who say that they “rely” on a mobile phone and cannot accept any possible occasion when it might be unavailable are taking a calculated risk in only having a number with giffgaff.

Maybe they should consider getting a second number with another (non-O2) provider on contract - as then they would be entitled to compensation for loss of service - and keep their giffgaff number as a PAYG back up.

And for those people who have suffered some sort of badly timed “missed call” incident such as a missed job interview or a sick child have to accept that life’s like that and **bleep** happens.

Ironically, as @maverick77_uk says you never see people on here saying “I received a text today about a new job which I got so thanks gg” or “My child had an accident at school and I got a call so was able to be with her thanks gg”.

But I suppose that’s indicative of people’s mentality nowadays in that when they are affected by something like this they take it personally and don’t think about the bigger picture, at the same time forgetting all the times that things have gone without a hitch.

Let’s just hope these people demanding compensation are not caught out by scammers offering them apes ivory and peacocks who then rip them off - see here for what I’m talking about

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Security-Update-Phishing-smishing-and-SIM-swaps/td-p...

**post edited by an educator** 

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 17 of 21
by: maverick77_uk
on: 07/12/2018 | 11:50
@phillip9974

Hi there,

Thanks for your thought. I understand the fact that customers have paid for something they haven't received. However, on the scheme of it, giffgaff is not a business service provider, it itself states that it is for leisure use. If you need a mobile for business, giffgaff really probably isn't the best option. Therefore, the absolute maximum of actual financial loss, if you have the most expensive £25 goodybag is:

25/31 (days this month) = 80.6p

Here's a thought, How about all members who read this and agree, go and put £1 in a local charity box, so approx compensation + VAT Smiley Wink The next charity box I pass, I will do this.

Cheers!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 18 of 21
by: phillip9974
on: 07/12/2018 | 12:38
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate that the £ loss is minimal to one individual. Times each loss by all giffgaff customers and it works out to be quite a bit of money that our service provider has gained by not providing the service people have paid for.
I'm sorry but I cannot accept the argument that it was 02 responsibility. Just because giffgaff sub out to a network provider, it doesn't absolve them of responsibility towards it's customers.
I have enjoyed being a giffgaff customer for a while now. However, this latest incident has highlighted a significant issue when dealing with third party providers. I don't seek monetary compensation but a good will gesture of some extra data would be appreciated. If giffgaff fail to do anything then I doubt that iI will be a customer for much longer and vote with my feet.
Message 19 of 21
by: nigelbrooks
on: 07/12/2018 | 12:54

@emmanuelray

There is no automatic right to compensation for PAYG customers despite the 'silly figures' being bandied about on the internet.

Your 'direct' loss would have been no more than one day of goodybag usage and giffgaff, if they compensate at all, may well limit any goodwill payment to that level.

Consequential losses as specifically excluded within the terms and conditions of your agreement and you will not get anywhere in a civil case unless you have documented proof of any loss.

No decision has been made but, when O2 fell over for an extended period a couple of years ago, giffgaff were fairly swift in making an offer.

@maverick77_uk

Very well said, the inability of some to plan for such outages (and by 'some' I mean users not the networks) and then to 'demand' compensation for their own lack of forethought is bewildering but unsurprising when there seems to be a pervasive 'someone has to pay' culture.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 20 of 21