Auto Data Config (ADC) on Lumia 800 for MMS

Started by: seventeenapg
On: 24/01/2012 | 16:05
Replies: 41

Highlighted
by: seventeenapg
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:05

Hi everyone,

Just joined GG and so far so good. But I simply cannot get to send MMS. I have tried everything including doing a hard reset. I saw on MSFT site that there is a thing called ADC which, on carrier phones, is disabled by them. ADC is the thing that configures internet and MMS from the sim card on first boot of the phone.

I phoned Nokia yesterday and they told me that ADC is indeed enabled on unlocked Lumias but I have no way to confirm this. I have tried all of the suggestions on the windows phone 7.5 page but to no avail. Also, as I do not have the very latest firmware on the phone yet, I cannot download the Nokia network set up from marketplace. And I am also informed that even if I had it there is no support there for GG. It seems that "virtual networks" as they are called will not be supported.

Has anyone with a Lumia 800 been able to solve this issue?

Message 1 of 42
by: drlatheef
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:06

@seventeenapg wrote:

Hi everyone,

Just joined GG and so far so good. But I simply cannot get to send MMS. I have tried everything including doing a hard reset. I saw on MSFT site that there is a thing called ADC which, on carrier phones, is disabled by them. ADC is the thing that configures internet and MMS from the sim card on first boot of the phone.

I phoned Nokia yesterday and they told me that ADC is indeed enabled on unlocked Lumias but I have no way to confirm this. I have tried all of the suggestions on the windows phone 7.5 page but to no avail. Also, as I do not have the very latest firmware on the phone yet, I cannot download the Nokia network set up from marketplace. And I am also informed that even if I had it there is no support there for GG. It seems that "virtual networks" as they are called will not be supported.

Has anyone with a Lumia 800 been able to solve this issue?

Credit is needed to send MMS, goodybags won't cut it.

Message 2 of 42
by: alweb
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:08

mms cost 16p per mms they are not included in a goodybag so you will need to top up

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 42
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:09
I have £4.49 in my account as well as my goodybag.
Message 4 of 42
by: misterjiff
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:09
MMS is 16p per message and is not included in any goodybag. So you need airtime credit to cover the costs of MMS.
Message 5 of 42
by: hurders
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:11

I think this is a reasonably common issue on windows 7 phones. A quick google on the issue brings up many reports of people not being able to configure MMS settings. It seems the solution may be to manually edit an .xml config file. I don't have a windows phone myself so can't tell you exactly how to do it but shouldn't be too difficult if you follow the solutions that come up when you google the problem.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim-- Click banner to order a FREE SIM with £5 FREE CREDIT!

If you found a post helpful then click the Yellow Star Kudos button on the left!
Message 6 of 42
by: hurders
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:21

Ok I've done a quick search for you and apparantly if you have the latest software update you can then go into the diagnostic app to enter APN and MMS settings manually. Here is a recent thread on the nokia forum from someone with a very similar issue trying to get MMS to work on giffgaff - http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/t5/Nokia-with-Windows-Phone/MMS-Picture-settings-etc-Lumia-800/td-p/1...

Get a free Giffgaff Sim-- Click banner to order a FREE SIM with £5 FREE CREDIT!

If you found a post helpful then click the Yellow Star Kudos button on the left!
Message 7 of 42
on: 24/01/2012 | 16:26
Hey, many thanks for your help. Saw that thread today also. I will wait for the 11500 update from Nokia and try again. Will let everyone know on this post if I can get MMS working after this.
Message 8 of 42
by: yudimorris
on: 24/01/2012 | 17:43
you won't be able to send a mms unless you have credit, i think its 16p per mms
Message 9 of 42
on: 25/01/2012 | 11:06
You will see above that I do have credit in my account. Having spent a lot of time on various sites looking into this problem it looks like those of us with Lumias will have to remain with the problem. It seems that, even with the next Nokia update, we will not be able to get MMS working even though we will have pathway to an MMS APN within diagnostics. I have seen already where someone has tried this but it has not worked. There wil be available also the network set up again in marketplace after this Nokia update. It seems this was pulled by Nokia some time ago because someone tried to exploit a weakness in the app to gain root access to the OS. BUT in order for the network app to work for us we need to have GG referenced there and not just the main carriers. So, how can we ensure that GG is included in the drop down menu of this app?
Message 10 of 42