Knowledge Base
Community

Can I block my lost phone without blocking my current SIM?

Started by: nevtam
On: 12/01/2014 | 00:41
Replies: 10

by: nevtam
on: 12/01/2014 | 00:41

I had my phone stolen abroad, so when back in the UK I chose the block and re-send a new SIM because I bought the phone separately so I didn't realise I could also block the phone through giffgaff...

Now I have my new SIM, activated, and spoken to my insurance, I realise I need to also block the phone to claim on insurance.

Can I block the phone now without having to block my new replacement SIM too?

Thanks for your help all you lovely giffgaffers.

Message 1 of 11
by: w69d
on: 12/01/2014 | 00:47
hi,sorry to say,but if you had it stolen abroad and the phone stays abroad the IMEI blacklist wouldn't affect the phone anyway Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 11
by: hfizzle95
on: 12/01/2014 | 00:49
Even if you block it there wont be any effect to be honest as it is not in uk
Message 3 of 11
by: pedrito
on: 12/01/2014 | 00:52 edited: 12/01/2014 | 00:57

By following this link https://giffgaff.com/support/lost you can either bar the phone and SIM or only the SIM.

I suggest you bar the Phone and SIM.

Now because the SIM was already barred, you need to contact an agent for your phone to be barred as well (but the bar on the phone will only be vallid in the UK, not where you lost it) and you will have to ask them a written document to give to your insurance (You will need to give them your phone's IMEI number).

You can contact an agent by clicking this handy link: www.giffgaff.com/support/ask and selecting the category of your issue. They should usually get back to you within 24 hours.

Hope this helps mate! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 11
by: tahit614
on: 12/01/2014 | 00:57
How do I change my number
Message 5 of 11
on: 12/01/2014 | 00:59
hi @tahit614
please edit your number off ,or you might get a few more calls before you have it changed Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 11
by: nevtam
on: 12/01/2014 | 01:00

Thank you so much. That's what I thought too - which is why I had presumed there was no point in blocking the phone...

but for insurance they need gifgaff to block the phone too, to claim. :\

Message 7 of 11
by: windoze9t8
on: 12/01/2014 | 01:04

IMEIs of UK handsets reported lost or stolen are also meant to be circulated to European network operators too, whether this approach is in use, needs clarification though. Most lost/stolen phones end up in Asia where the same legislation is not applied.

There are many a free website that can check the status of your lost phones IMEI but I would recommend only using this fee required site to check

http://www.checkmend.com/uk/

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 11
by: 2cats
on: 12/01/2014 | 01:04

Hi nevtam,

Sorry to hear you lost your phone abroad.

If you use the IMEI block, it will only affect phone when in the UK.

Do you have a friend in the country where you were?

Perhaps they could try blocking your lost IMEI...

I hope you managed to do a "SIM Swap".

So, your new phone will be registered with <immobilise.com>?

(recommended by many UK police forces)

Great giffgaff international rates (from Airtime Credit) when dialling from the UK
Goody & Gigabags are now valid in the EU!  Free Facebook & Twitter SMS updates with this link: Get a free giffgaff SIM with £5 credit from here

Message 9 of 11
on: 12/01/2014 | 01:05
you can always ask an agent in the above link (by pedrito ) ,but you may get bigger problems like barring your new phone by mistake ,(it starts to get confusing )
Message 10 of 11