Knowledge Base
Community

Can I get calls or receive txt message in non EU countries?

Started by: che_yu
On: 07/01/2019 | 06:00
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: che_yu
on: 07/01/2019 | 06:00

Hi,

I am right now in Asia.

I haven't used my giffgaff SIM card and number for a while since I went back to my country, which is in Asia, in Oct 2018. 

Furthermore, I lost my  SIM card.

Luckily,  I have an extra, un-activated SIM card.

Therefore, I've just use SIM swap to replace my old one and purchase a 10 pounds goodybag.

However, I cannot receive any call nither from local phone nor from Skype.

Should I wait for the system or there are other issues that I should deal with, such as I am no longer able to use the same phone number which I had before I came back to my country?

I am going to the UK to attend my graduation ceremony tomorrow.

Hope someone to reply me soon! 

Cheers!

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: wagstaffej
on: 07/01/2019 | 06:11 edited: 07/01/2019 | 06:14

Hi @che_yu goodybags don't work outside the EU. You would need to add airtime credit to use your phone in Asia as there will be charges to receive calls too. See here for the costs https://giffgaff.com/roaming-charges
Once you get to the UK your goodybag should work fine.

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
by: wagstaffej
on: 07/01/2019 | 06:11 edited: 07/01/2019 | 06:14

Hi @che_yu goodybags don't work outside the EU. You would need to add airtime credit to use your phone in Asia as there will be charges to receive calls too. See here for the costs https://giffgaff.com/roaming-charges
Once you get to the UK your goodybag should work fine.

Message 2 of 6
by: tonychurm39
on: 07/01/2019 | 06:16
Hello
The simswap itself may take upto 24hrs. And goodybags wont work in asia but will work when your back in the uk.
Message 3 of 6
by: freedmaniac
on: 07/01/2019 | 07:38

@che_yu

For calls in or out, and also for texts sent, you will need credit.

You should be able to receive texts without any credit.

Message 4 of 6
by: naomirehman7259
on: 07/01/2019 | 09:29

Hi @che_yu

Direct link to ask an agent 

https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/roaming

Agents are available from 8am till 10pm 7 days a week.

REPLIES FROM AGENTS can be viewed and responded to from

https://giffgaff.com/support/questions 

** if you need anything further just hit the reply button **

Good luck and enjoy.

Message 5 of 6
by: mrsgrowler
on: 07/01/2019 | 09:59

@che_yu wrote:

Hi,

I am right now in Asia.

I haven't used my giffgaff SIM card and number for a while since I went back to my country, which is in Asia, in Oct 2018. 

Furthermore, I lost my  SIM card.

Luckily,  I have an extra, un-activated SIM card.

Therefore, I've just use SIM swap to replace my old one and purchase a 10 pounds goodybag.

However, I cannot receive any call nither from local phone nor from Skype.

Should I wait for the system or there are other issues that I should deal with, such as I am no longer able to use the same phone number which I had before I came back to my country?

I am going to the UK to attend my graduation ceremony tomorrow.

Hope someone to reply me soon! 

Cheers!

Bit late I know @che_yu but if you ever need to add money to keep your sim active because you are not in the U.K. or EU / EEA  then NEVER buy a goodybag always just add credit.

Two reasons.

1. Goodybags don’t work outside the U.K. or the EU/EEA so you NEED credit for your phone to work.
  2. As a goodybag only lasts a month then if you aren’t going  to be in the U.K. within that time frame you won’t get any (or much) use out of it. Whereas credit never expires so it will not be wasted.

Not saying it’d happen but you could ask an agent and see if they will cancel the bag and add it as credit.

Although if you are coming to the U.K. tomorrow it may not be worth doing as you’ll be able to use the bag from then (so you won’t have missed too many days) and you may just want to add some credit as well just to enable you to use it for now.

Congratulations on graduating, hope you have a great day.

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 6 of 6