Knowledge Base
Community

Can I move my gaff sim to new mobile if sim is over 3 years old?

Started by: sharoneveritt
On: 03/12/2018 | 14:54
Replies: 12

Go to best answer
by: sharoneveritt
on: 03/12/2018 | 14:54

I have a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime with a micro giff gaff sim. Can I take this sim out & convert to a nano sim to go in new Huawei P Smart mobie so I don't have to do a sim swap?

Message 1 of 13
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: figment_uk
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:18

@sharoneveritt

The age of your SIM is immaterial, except that older SIM cards take longer to lock onto a 4G signal than newer SIMs.   What is the reason you do not want to do a SIM swap?

If your current SIM card looks like the one pictured below, you can change the size of the SIM by adding or removing the small plastic frames..

SIM-sizes.jpg

Otherwise use any spare (unactivated) giffgaff SIM card to do a SIM swap.  If you don't have a spare, order one from here or buy a giffgaff SIM (£1 or less) from a local supermarket, pound shop or convenience store

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 7 of 13
by: danhamman
on: 03/12/2018 | 14:55

@sharoneveritt wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime with a micro giff gaff sim. Can I take this sim out & convert to a nano sim to go in new Huawei P Smart mobie so I don't have to do a sim swap?

You need to do a SIM Swap - otherwise your phone number and credit/goodybag would stay on the micro SIM.

https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#simswap

.:.
Message 2 of 13
Highlighted
by: starkey93
on: 03/12/2018 | 14:57
@sharoneveritt I would just get another sim and using the casing to change it to a nano sim I do it all the time is way faster and less hazzle
C.starkey
Message 3 of 13
by: he22ie
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:00

If the micro sim has score lines on it will break down to nano otherwise order a new sim and on your dashboard go to help /sim swap and follow the instructions. Enter the ID of the new sim in the box and on the next page reject your old sim and now your number and account will be transferred to the new sim in about an hour . See here

https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/SIM-and-number/Performing-a-SIM-Swap/form/

Message 4 of 13
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:15
Does it matter that my existing sim is over 3 yrs old?
Message 5 of 13
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:16

@sharoneveritt wrote:

Does it matter that my existing sim is over 3 yrs old?

It does not.

Message 6 of 13
by: figment_uk
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:18

@sharoneveritt

The age of your SIM is immaterial, except that older SIM cards take longer to lock onto a 4G signal than newer SIMs.   What is the reason you do not want to do a SIM swap?

If your current SIM card looks like the one pictured below, you can change the size of the SIM by adding or removing the small plastic frames..

SIM-sizes.jpg

Otherwise use any spare (unactivated) giffgaff SIM card to do a SIM swap.  If you don't have a spare, order one from here or buy a giffgaff SIM (£1 or less) from a local supermarket, pound shop or convenience store

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 7 of 13
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:23
I've saved all my contacts to the micro sim so assume these will transfer into new phone if I'm able to pop it out to convert to a nano sim? I'm not a very tech minded person so all help gratefully received.
Message 8 of 13
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:25

@sharoneveritt wrote:

I've saved all my contacts to the micro sim so assume these will transfer into new phone if I'm able to pop it out to convert to a nano sim? I'm not a very tech minded person so all help gratefully received.

Yes, the contacts will stay on the SIM if you want to do it that way

The only real important bit is the golden part in the middle.

All the rest is merely casing to fit your handset.

Message 9 of 13
on: 03/12/2018 | 15:38
One reply mentons that older sims may struggle to pick up 4G signal quickly so wonder whether I might be best to just order a replacement new sim & try to do the sim swap?
Message 10 of 13