Community

Data usage

Started by: lokman1981
On: 14/08/2019 | 06:10
Replies: 5

Highlighted
by: lokman1981
on: 14/08/2019 | 06:10 edited: 14/08/2019 | 11:10

I think the  data usage on giffgaff is extremely high. 4 giga data isn't last for 20 days. Considering myself using the internet occasionally and always switch off the  data usage on my phone never  turn back on unless  I need to  use the  internet. 

Message 1 of 6
by: alexmgg2
on: 14/08/2019 | 09:52

@lokman1981wrote:

I think the  data usage on giffgaff is extremely high. 4 giga data isn't last for 20 days. Considering myself using the internet occasionally and always switch off the  data usage on my phone never  turn back on unless  I need to  use the  internet. 

Please check that you haven't allowed background apps to use your data while you're doing other things online. Also, make sure that you have both app and OS updates set to Wi-Fi only.

If you have an iPhone, make sure that Wi-Fi assist is turned off - that uses your mobile data at the same time as Wi-Fi, to "make it faster". Some Android phones have a similar thing, with names like Download Boost or Turbo Data, so check for those and turn them off if necessary.

Giffgaff have no control over how much data you use, that's entirely down to you and your phone settings.

HTH

If someones answer has helped you solve your problem, please consider setting it as Best answer, or leaving them Kudos points. Thanks!
Message 2 of 6
by: lokman1981
on: 14/08/2019 | 12:15
Hi thanks for reply as you have mentioned I always turn off background apps and the wifi is off and always up to date with latest apps. By the way I use Samsung s9.
Message 3 of 6
by: jt_21
on: 14/08/2019 | 12:31 edited: 14/08/2019 | 12:35

@lokman1981wrote:

Note:- Galaxy S9 automatically switches to mobile data when wifi is off, won't connect to one wifi network. ... Smart network switch is basically a feature that allows a #GalaxyS9 to use mobile data when wifi has been disconnected or out of range, so if you don't want you mobile data used this will need to be ON/OFF as and When needed 

Data usage over mobile data will be the SAME no matter what network you are using, could be a bad app? If it is delete it .....  usage is also depending on what you are actually doing over mobile data, checking a few emails won't use much however data hungry apps such as YouTube for example WILL munch through the data, its worth having a look through your apps and see which ones are using the most and perhaps get some to update over wifi instead or switch them off, viewing YouTube over a lower quality setting helps a great deal too, ensure wifi assist is OFF (if you have this feature) there's more data added to the £10, £12 and £15 goodybag when you purchase today or afterwards see the latest on this

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Did-someone-say-quot-more-data-on-the-10-12-and-15-g...

Message 4 of 6
by: alexmgg2
on: 14/08/2019 | 18:14

@lokman1981wrote:

Hi thanks for reply as you have mentioned I always turn off background apps and the wifi is off and always up to date with latest apps. By the way I use Samsung s9.

I don’t have an S9, but most Samsung phones that I've used have a Data usage option in the Network settings, which can be set to show you how much data each individual app has used over the set interval.

If your phone has something like this, it may help you to work out exactly what your data has been used for.

HTH

If someones answer has helped you solve your problem, please consider setting it as Best answer, or leaving them Kudos points. Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
by: eddiehk6
on: 14/08/2019 | 18:19
hi @lokman1981

Check your current goodybag allowances here: https://giffgaff.com/dashboard
Please note the amounts shown are what you have REMAINING, not what you have used.

Note that giffgaff merely provides the mobile data. How much data your phone uses is down to the phone's settings, NOT the network. If you used a different network SIM with roughly the same network speed, then your phone would have used basically the same amount of mobile data.

As long as your phone has an active mobile internet connection, it will continue to use data in the background, even without you actively using the device.

You should work out where your data has been used, narrow down which apps are actually using your data, for example:
On Android: Settings -> Data usage
Or install a separate data monitoring app

Once you work out the offending apps, try to configure them so they update less, or over WiFi only. Or even uninstall them if you don't actually need them

Please remember to select a ___| Best Answer +★|___and give thanks to those who helped by clicking Kudos! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 6