Knowledge Base
Community

EU Roaming

Started by: patrickmonty
On: 07/01/2019 | 20:05
Replies: 6

by: patrickmonty
on: 07/01/2019 | 20:05

Hi fellow giffgaffers, I am currently in France for six months on a ski season and would love to use my goody bag if possible. However I have just received this text ‘Hello, just a heads up. It looks like you?ve not had any recent usage in the UK, so in 2 week's time roaming in the EU and selected destination will be charged from your balance. Terms apply. For more info: giff.ly/2qL4iQs’

i would like to know if there is any way around it as otherwise I need to buy a french sim to avoid spending an extortionate amount with my balance!!

thanks all

Message 1 of 7
by: eddiehk6
on: 07/01/2019 | 20:55
hi @patrickmonty

Unfortunately, the ability to roam in the EU with your goodybag only applies for up to 60 days in a 4 month period, as per the fair usage guidelines: https://giffgaff.com/fair-usage-while-roaming

You would be much better off buying a local French SIM card for the remainder of your ski season. Hope the conditions are great out there!

Please remember to select a ___| Best Answer +★|___and give thanks to those who helped by clicking Kudos! Smiley Very Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 7
by: tazzy19
on: 07/01/2019 | 20:57

@patrickmonty

Sorry, but there is no way around it.

However simply having a £5 goodybag will give you reduced rates whilst roaming, 3.3p min,1p text and 0.47p mb from airtime credit https://giffgaff.com/top-up

Message 3 of 7
by: sheppola
on: 07/01/2019 | 21:01

@patrickmonty

@patrickmonty wrote:

Hi fellow giffgaffers, I am currently in France for six months on a ski season and would love to use my goody bag if possible. However I have just received this text ‘Hello, just a heads up. It looks like you?ve not had any recent usage in the UK, so in 2 week's time roaming in the EU and selected destination will be charged from your balance. Terms apply. For more info: giff.ly/2qL4iQs’

i would like to know if there is any way around it as otherwise I need to buy a french sim to avoid spending an extortionate amount with my balance!!

thanks all

Wait until it runs out and then buy the local Sim.

https://www.finder.com/uk/best-prepaid-sim-card-france

Just make sure you make a call or text ot connect to the Internet within a 6 month period or the GiffGaff sim will be deactivated and the number recycled.

Put a reminder in you Calendar app.

HTH Smiley Happy

If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 4 of 7
by: patrickmonty
on: 07/01/2019 | 21:07
That’s a shame there’s no way to keep using the goodybag. Conditions are great. Can I freeze paying my giffgaff goodybag for 3 months - how would that effect receiving messages on this number ?

Can I get my giffgaff sim as an Esim as it’s an iPhone capable of dual sim?
Message 5 of 7
by: sheppola
on: 07/01/2019 | 21:21 edited: 07/01/2019 | 21:22

@patrickmonty

@patrickmonty wrote:

That’s a shame there’s no way to keep using the goodybag. Conditions are great. Can I freeze paying my giffgaff goodybag for 3 months - how would that effect receiving messages on this number ?

No Esims I'm afraid.I think receiving text should be free even when you are on Airtime Credit/Top-up Credit.You can disable any recurring payment options if you want but do some maths and if you change to a £5.00 Goodybag and keep it active the charges will be,

3.2p per minute calls1p per text 0.6p (less than 1p) per mb

Not too expensive.

Also,

If you get your friends/family/business on an app like,"WhatsApp".

https://www.whatsapp.com

You can use WhatsApp on WiFi and at free WiFi spots as well and contact all around the World

Calls on WhatsApp use around 1meg of Data for a 5 min call so even a £5.00 GoodyBag would give you
around 2,500 mins Smiley Very Happy

WhatsApp is more secure than calling and texting the normal way as well.
Since using WhatsApp I barely use normal Calls and Text.

If forum posts help please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 6 of 7
by: mrsgrowler
on: 07/01/2019 | 21:26

@patrickmonty wrote:

You can keep buying the £5 bag @patrickmonty which, although you won’t be able to use it, will give you the benefit of the the cheaper EU defined PAYG rates as described by @tazzy19 in message no 3 rather than being charged the standard giffgaff rates of 15p per min, 5p per text and 5p per MB.

But if you don't want to do that then turn off Recurring Goodybag - assuming you have it set - and as long as you don’t leave it longer than 6 months with no activity on the sim then your sim will stay active and you can continue to receive calls and texts with it.

You can start buying bags again when you return to the UK.

Sadly giffgaff do not support e-sims but you might find a French provider that does, so that option might be worth looking into.

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 7 of 7