Community

Educators - why are they picking on me?

Started by: p1969
On: 03/05/2015 | 17:29
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: p1969
on: 03/05/2015 | 17:29

Before anyone asks - this isn't the account which I feel I've been picked on by the educators.

Anyway, yesterday I posted a reply to someone who was having trouble with a Nokia Windows phone and he/she was having issues syncing it up with the bluetooth handsfree kit in the car. It was taking ages to transfer the contacts. I posted a jokie comment saying "well it is a windows phone!" as the member had stated that when they had used their previous android phone it worked in seconds. 

Later in the day I had a PM from an educator telling me that they had deleted my post because it was offensive and wasn't constructive. I don't think saying what I said was offensive, but I agree it wasn't constructive but it was a joke. I've seen other members in other threads say similar things too.

Previously I have also been told off by an educator for copying just ONE paragraph off the giffgaff guide to short codes for a user who was asking about how to work the voicemail system. It was just 4 lines of text. I was told to use a link to the page instead of copying it as this was taking up too much space on the forum! And once again my post was removed.

I replied that I can't see how just 4 lines was causing so much trouble when I see on regular occasions several other members posting the exact same script into answers for internet settings which takes up pages and pages of this forum.

So my question to you members who help us all on here (and are doing a great job too) do you feel I've been treated unfairly or should I accept my telling off?

(If I have offended any Nokia Windows users then I do apologise)

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 05/05/2015 | 10:14 edited: 05/05/2015 | 10:16

Hi @p1969,

I'm sorry you feel this way. If you want to chat about it then send me a private message and we can work things out. We don't talk about education publically, but I'll be super happy to talk anything through with you privately. Because we don't talk about these things publically I'm going to close this thread. This isn't a reflection on you, but we think it's best to just lock these sorts of threads.

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 6 of 6
by: sophie26413
on: 03/05/2015 | 17:34
I think maybe it is abit unfair.

As for the Nokia thing, yeah it was a joke, but maybe it was not needed.

As for the copy and pasting a paragraph, i think that's unfair, as you was only trying to help, and what a better way to answer someone's question that to quote giffgaffs own text..

Although it may be unfair, unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done maybe you should just take the punishment haha Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 6
by: im_mandi
on: 03/05/2015 | 17:36
I don't think its appropriate joking when people are asking for help and are probably quite stressed out anyway, but I don't see anything wrong with copy and paste a few lines from the knowledge base to answer people
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 6
by: davehills
on: 03/05/2015 | 17:53

Well, I think that the odd jokey comment doesn't really hurt and that forums that keep things like hearted are a nicer place to be.

As to whether the Educators were unfair I don't know without wading back through the comments in question.

Some forum mods can take the role a bit too seriously and maybe a bit too strict from time to time but you have to remember they are volunteers and the forum would soon fall apart without them. You also have to remember that what they say goes - that's part and parcel of being allowed in to this exclusive club!

You care enough about the forum to have started this thread and have offered advice to others. Have you considered becoming an educator yourself? 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
If you'd like standard, Micro or nano SIM sent out via 1st class post, please PM me!
Message 4 of 6
by: wreedie
on: 03/05/2015 | 17:53
I personally avoid jokes, and try to get on with helping somebody if I can. As others have mentioned, when people are seeking help, jokes that do not add anything to the solution are probably the last thing they want to see. Having said that Educators can be strange sometimes. Last week I had a couple of posts deleted that were potential solutions to a members problems, and never got a response as to why they were deleted.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: will23
former giff-staffer

on: 05/05/2015 | 10:14 edited: 05/05/2015 | 10:16

Hi @p1969,

I'm sorry you feel this way. If you want to chat about it then send me a private message and we can work things out. We don't talk about education publically, but I'll be super happy to talk anything through with you privately. Because we don't talk about these things publically I'm going to close this thread. This isn't a reflection on you, but we think it's best to just lock these sorts of threads.

All the best,

Will

Former Community Manager 
Message 6 of 6