Community

Effectively no Internet in Torquay during daytime over last week

Started by: axean1
On: 01/08/2014 | 15:32
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: axean1
on: 01/08/2014 | 15:32 edited: 05/08/2014 | 10:19

Wherever you are Internet speeds will vary depending on things like 'peak time' and signal type/strength.

But in Torquay we've effectively had no Internet access during the day for the last week. Other people have posted about their problems.

I'm more than a bit confident about how mobile interent works and have been testing things over the last few days

In the Torquay urban area from around 10am to 11pm speeds are so bad speed tests fail. Things get better from about 8pm but you can't really use websites realiably until about 11pm and you can't stream Youtube before midnight.

During the day speed tests fail, but I can often see data is downloading at abut 5kbps (yes, that's bits, not bytes)

During the night around 1am I get about 4500kbps down & 2500kbps up

If I leave the Torquay area, and go inland to pick of a different mast then the Internet comes back

I guess I'll get advice to check coverage, service status, and try a manual roam. None of these will fix the issue.

The problem is clearly congestion, a topic that is quite fashionable on these forums at the moment.

But why is the congestion so bad in Torquay???

It could be temporary bandwidth issue, but I think the issue is linked to the School Holidays and the good weather we've been having. This time of year Torquay and neighbouring seaside towns have a 6-7 week long population explosion from tourists. These tourists will be dependent on mobile Internet, and I guess will have massively higher than normal data usage due creating holiday content and trying to make it available on sites like facebook. This week we've had superb weather, so you also got people from the local region coming to the beaches.

(worth noting that I tried an 02 payg sim and experienced slow speeds but Internet still worked. I've also tried a Three Mobile payg sim and got speeds good enough for youtube (2500kbps down))

But whatever the reason, the situation currently is that I'm paying for Internet and haven't got Internet during the day, and it has been going on for a week. I'm willing to put up with it for another week or so, but if it's not fixed by then I'll have to move to another company.

Putting the info here makes people aware, but won't fix the problem. Giffgaff should be aware of this congestion, so what is the correct method for contacting an 'agent' to find out what, if anything, giffgaff are doing to do to fix this?

Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
on: 05/08/2014 | 10:18 edited: 05/08/2014 | 10:26

@nigelbrooks wrote:

Nothing will fix the problem in Torquay sadly until O2 'beef up' their network.

@nigelbrooks  I contacted 'an Agent' and he more or less said what you said.

Fair play to the 'Agent', he didn't try to persuade me everything will work out ok in the short term. He said he looked into the problem, there was a problem and it was down to 02 to make "congestion a thing of the past", but there was very little Giffgaff could do to make o2 fix the problem.

So what does that mean for me? I could handle bad speeds for the next few weeks, but not no data. I also have to consider that with more and more people using mobile broadband the problem could get worse in Torquay/Torbay. The answer for me is to move to Three Mobile. Massive issue with Three is coverage in the more  rural parts of our region, so since I have a lot of Giffgaff credit I'll keep my Giffgaff sim and put it into my old smartphone, which I'll use as a 'emergency phone' when I'm walking in areas with no 'Three Mobile' signal.

So I guess I'll end with "so long and thanks for all the fish"

Message 6 of 6
by: backdrifters
on: 01/08/2014 | 15:39
They are aware of this congestion and are acting upon it but it seems to be having little effect.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 6
by: walkrightback
on: 01/08/2014 | 15:41
Could well be associated with the peak holiday period.
Message 3 of 6
by: natty88
on: 01/08/2014 | 15:45
Sorry my friend as you state network congestion at peak times holiday makers using masts all at same times slows everyone down
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 6
by: nigelbrooks
on: 01/08/2014 | 16:21 edited: 01/08/2014 | 16:23

It will take a concerted effort by O2 users to get them to increase the capacity of their network (O2 do not listen to giffgaff and Tesco Mobile users sadly) and until this is done, I am so sorry to say that the situation will not improve for you.

To be brutally honest (always my way) if another network (like 3) has better capacity  then you would be far better off moving (only hope that everyone else doesn't follow suit or you'll be in the same boat again).

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
on: 05/08/2014 | 10:18 edited: 05/08/2014 | 10:26

@nigelbrooks wrote:

@nigelbrooks  I contacted 'an Agent' and he more or less said what you said.

Fair play to the 'Agent', he didn't try to persuade me everything will work out ok in the short term. He said he looked into the problem, there was a problem and it was down to 02 to make "congestion a thing of the past", but there was very little Giffgaff could do to make o2 fix the problem.

So what does that mean for me? I could handle bad speeds for the next few weeks, but not no data. I also have to consider that with more and more people using mobile broadband the problem could get worse in Torquay/Torbay. The answer for me is to move to Three Mobile. Massive issue with Three is coverage in the more  rural parts of our region, so since I have a lot of Giffgaff credit I'll keep my Giffgaff sim and put it into my old smartphone, which I'll use as a 'emergency phone' when I'm walking in areas with no 'Three Mobile' signal.

So I guess I'll end with "so long and thanks for all the fish"

Message 6 of 6