New to GIFF GAFF with phone that used to be on Orange. Phone's a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 mini. The message above has come up and it refuses to allow me to type the usual 0000, 1234, 5555, etc.
Not sure if it's locked to Orange or not but has anyone out there experienced similar problems that can help??
Thanks in advance.
This question has a Best Answer. Go to Best Answer
Woah woah, don't type anymore numbers or you might simlock the phone permanently.
Welcome to giffgaff, it sounds like your phone is locked to the orange network, this means orange put a restriction so that only orange simcards can be used. This is normal and has been happening to mobile phones for 10+ years.
There is no way to unlock it for free at the moment, you can either take it to your local phone shop, or buy an unlock code online such as on ebay. This will cost you in between £10-£20 to get done.
Well... tried a few unlocking services annnddd...
- The ones that send you software online send you out of date software.
- The ones that only unlock online using your IMEI number won't touch it as I cannot get the status of the SIM i.e. doing the HOME BACK BACK HOME BACK HOME HOME BACK, or MENU BACK BACK MENU BACK MENU MENU BACK, (dependent upon which Android software you're using apparently??), menu to come up.
- There are 2 services down here - one wouldn't touch it, and the other wanted to charge £35
- Trying SE's forum again...nothing - you think they'd know these things.
- Orange say 3 months before they'll unlock the phone i.e. September 6th - the phone hasn't been registered with them for 3 months.
So using my non-android phone with Giff Gaff until Orange condescend to unlock my new one, and have fired off yet another complaint as they didn't respond to my 1st one!
I have been arguing with Orange since 9th August about getting my Xperia X10i un-latched.
Despite having the phone over a year they refuse to give me the code.
Best bit is they say it's not an Orange branded handset. YET I got the phone from an Orange store staffed by Orange staff. Given to me in a box with Orange logos on it and there were Orange logos on the phone
Errrrrrr? Not an orange branded phone. They having a laugh.
Managed to get it un-latched for £5.99 (£4.99 + 20%vat) at http://www.unlockfinder.com