Community

HOW DO I USE MY GIFFGAFF ABROAD WHEN I GO TO SPAIN

Started by: trudylynn64
On: 31/05/2015 | 12:46
Replies: 7

Go to best answer
by: trudylynn64
on: 31/05/2015 | 12:46 edited: 31/05/2015 | 12:47

i am going to benidorm on 22nd of June ,how do i switch my settings so i can use my phone in spain and make txt an phone calls back home to uk.I want to ring my friends who live in spain,i need to ring uk for granddaughters birthday

Message 1 of 8
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: greenman
on: 31/05/2015 | 12:53

@trudylynn64 wrote:

i am going to benidorm on 22nd of June ,how do i switch my settings so i can use my phone in spain and make txt an phone calls back home to uk.I want to ring my friends who live in spain,i need to ring uk for granddaughters birthday

As you are wanting to phone friends in Spain and the UK, then you would be better buying a PAYG sim card in Spain if your phone is unlocked.

Alternatively, take lots of airtime credit with you to make and receive calls.

Best alternative is to use wifi while our there and install WhatsApp (needs the same app on the recipients phone) or Skype and buy 'Skype out' credits for those not on Skype.

Message 4 of 8
by: nfh
on: 31/05/2015 | 12:47

Unfortunately giffgaff is prohibitively expensive to use in Spain. Although giffgaff charges £7.50 for a gigabyte in the UK, it charges a whopping £190 per gigabyte in mainland Spain, i.e. 25 times as much, even if you roam on to Telefónica/Movistar, giffgaff's parent company. Giffgaff's charge is £158.33 per gigabyte in the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla because UK VAT isn't charged. Unlike other UK networks, giffgaff doesn't offer any data roaming bundles, so the only way of paying a reasonable price for data is to buy a Spanish SIM card. I particularly recommend Tuenti, also part of Telefónica like giffgaff and O2. Just like O2 in the UK, Telefónica's network has the best coverage in Spain; I have yet to find a coverage blackspot. A Tuenti SIM card will cost you €10 online or €12 in a shop, and you receive either amount in full as a credit balance. A gigabyte of data on Tuenti costs €7, i.e. even less than its sister company giffgaff in the UK. Tuenti is also a Spanish equivalent of Facebook, although its mobile division is very much the equivalent of giffgaff, given that they are both low cost MVNOs owned by Telefónica (the Spanish equivalent of BT). Please send me a private message if you want me to introduce you as a Tuenti customer. In the same way that giffgaff gives £5 to the new customer and £5 to the existing customer, Tuenti likewise gives €10 to both.

Message 2 of 8
by: 147brian21573
on: 31/05/2015 | 12:49
Detailed roaming rates can be found on this page: http://giffgaff.com/index/international

The top half of the page is for making calls to international numbers.
If you scroll down, you'll find that the bottom half of the page is for roaming charges.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
by: greenman
on: 31/05/2015 | 12:53

@trudylynn64 wrote:

As you are wanting to phone friends in Spain and the UK, then you would be better buying a PAYG sim card in Spain if your phone is unlocked.

Alternatively, take lots of airtime credit with you to make and receive calls.

Best alternative is to use wifi while our there and install WhatsApp (needs the same app on the recipients phone) or Skype and buy 'Skype out' credits for those not on Skype.

Message 4 of 8
by: ruthb58
on: 31/05/2015 | 13:01
Unfortunately giffgaff goodybags only work within the UK so you will need to have airtime credit to use your phone when abroad
Message 5 of 8
by: mickythemoocher
on: 31/05/2015 | 13:04

Your phone will already be ready to use in Europe.  So you do not need to do anything to your settings, it will work while you are in Benidorm.

However I would recommend that you find the 'Data when roaming' setting on your phone and switch it off to stop your phone from being able to use mobile data in Spain.  Many apps now try to access mobile data in the background without you being aware and this can very quickly run up big charges when you are using mobile data abroad (roaming).

Texts and calls are reasonably cheap when in Spain:

Making a phone call from any of these countries to a destination which is outside of this price band will cost £1 per minute. All prices listed below are inclusive of VAT.

Dialing within EU and select countries plus calls to voicemail (charged in per second increments after first 30 seconds)18p per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per second increments)4p per minute
Sending texts5p per
text
Receiving textsFree
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK mobile16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile24p per MMS
Data roaming*19p per MB

All international calls are charged from airtime credit so make sure that you top-up with enough before you go.  International calls are not included in any goodybags.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 8
on: 02/06/2015 | 09:23

checked out the tarriff for using my giffgaff abroad,decided to take my tablet and use wi fi over there for facebook,leaving my phone at home,have also been told to install an app called viper on my tablet ...the support page was very explanatory regarding tarriffis thanks

Message 7 of 8
on: 02/06/2015 | 09:24
decided to ltake my tablet ty
Message 8 of 8