Knowledge Base
Community

Has anyone used their phone in Amsterdam, Netherlands.PLEASE READ MY ACTUAL QUESTION BEFORE REPLYING

Started by: justbe
On: 12/01/2019 | 15:16
Replies: 58

Go to best answer
by: justbe
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:16 edited: 12/01/2019 | 16:04

Hi fellow Giffgaffers,

I want to use my UK mobile when in The Netherlands, but have a question I can't find the answer to.

1) When I am in the Netherlands, if someone from the Netherlands calls my phone while I am in the Netherlands, will they be charged international rates and will they have to use +44 and international codes etc. before dialling me.? Or will it just be like a local charge for them?

2) When I am in the Netherlands, if I want to call someone local, number can I just call the local 6 digit number without all the country codes and area codes, or do I still have to dial locals as if I was still in Uk with all the interntional codes infront of the number?

By the way I tried to ask this question in the roaming section to the Agents but the drop down menu asking what country are you in Did NOT have UK option to pick..is the UK now lost in the matrix, or were we just an illusion to begin with 😀

Message 1 of 59
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
on: 12/01/2019 | 20:30 edited: 12/01/2019 | 21:02

HI Everyone,

THANK YOU TO EVERY ONE THAT POSTED ANSWERS AND TOOK THE TIME TO REPLY.

AFTER READING EVERY ANSWER AND CALLING THE INTERNATIONAL OPERATOR (and 118 who didn't have a clue by the way and charged 80p a minute)  I CAN NOW CONFIRM THE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS I ORIGINALLY ASKED. 

THE BELOW IS FOR ANYONE WISHING TO USE A GIFFGAFF MOBILE WHILE IN THE NETHERLANDS, IN PARTICULAR AMSTERDAM.  TO CALL EITHER AN AMSTERDAM LANDLINE OR MOBILE WHILE IN AMSTERDAM. OR HOW AN AMSTERDAM LOCAL PERSON CAN CALL YOUR UK MOBILE WHILE YOU ARE IN AMSTERDAM.

************************If anyone spots an error or wants to add to this, please do**********************

Here is my original 2 questions, with the answers in red 

I want to use my UK mobile when in The Netherlands, but have a question I can't find the answer to.

Question 1) When I am in the Netherlands, if someone from the Netherlands calls my phone while I am in the Netherlands, will they be charged international rates and will they have to use +44 and international codes etc. before dialling me.? Or will it just be like a local charge for them?

ANSWER:  If I am in Amsterdam with my Uk Giffgaff phone, and a local person from Amsterdam with an Amsterdam mobile or landline  wants to call my UK phone, while I am IN Amsterdam, they maybe still charged international rates, OR it maybe included in there bundle, OR it maybe charged at just local rate. It all depends on their service provider. So only they will be able to answer this.

The Amsterdam person with an Amsterdam Mobile or Landline has to dial your UK mobile number as follows .... 00 44 and then your mobile number  (they have to not dial the 0 infront of your number )   .....

So for example ... if Your mobile number is 07***********   they would have to dial  00  44   7**********  (missing off the first 0) 

00 = is the International prefix (Exit Code) to dial out of the country  (sometimes written as a + sign  like +44....so + = 00 )

44= is the International Country dialing code for the UK  (every country has a different code UK is 44)

Question 2) When I am in the Netherlands, if I want to call someone local, can I just call the local 6 digit number without all the country codes and area codes, or do I still have to dial locals as if I was still in Uk with all the interntional codes infront of the number?

ANSWER:  Even if you are in Amsterdam you STILL have to put all international codes infront of the number, like this......

a) To dial my Amsterdam hotel LANDLINE from my UK Giffgaff Mobile while I am IN Amsterdam I have to dial  00 31 20 then the landline number (missing off the 0 at the beginng of the landline number)

For example the Hotel number is 020 627 16 120  ..........So I Have to Dial  00 31 20 627 16 120..........

00 = is the International prefix (Exit Code) for us UK people to be able to dial anyone outside of the UK (sometimes written as a + sign  like +31 .....so + = 00)

31= is the International Country dialing code for The Netherlands  (every country has a different code)

20 = is the Local area code for Amsterdam Only.  Other cities and towns in The Netherlands will have different local codes) 

Then Dial number.....The Amsterdam  hotel number advertised on their website was 020 627 16 120   BUT  you must miss off the 0 at the beginning of the number.

b) To dial an Amsterdam hotel or any persons MOBILE number from my UK Giffgaff Mobile while I am IN Amsterdam I have to dial  00 31  then the Mobile number (missing off the 0 at the beginng of the landline number)

So for example the Amsterdam mobile number is 0675 25 46 77  so  I would have to dial 00 31 675 25 46 77  (again do not dial the 0 at the beginning of number. NOTE : the local area code  20 for Amsterdam is missed off when dialling mobiles, it only applies if you are dialling a landline. 

Making the above calls are included in your Giffgaff bundle roaming because its an EU number. (European Union country) 

Hope this is clear for everyone, I tried to make it simple. 

It will be my first time in Amsterdam, so this info is a must know for anyone else travelling there for the first time

Thanks everyone

Message 53 of 59
Highlighted
by: aaronhank
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:27
Do you have the roaming option enabled under your details page here https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#rlah? As you need this enabled in order to roam in the EU with the goodybag. @justbe

using of your mobile abroad. https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Using-your-mobile-abroad/ta-p/3522931
Message 2 of 59
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:29
Yes, but that did not answer my question at all ...
Message 3 of 59
by: natty88
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:33

' @justbe check and try this Handy guide to using giffgaff overseas please 

1. Make sure you have a live goody bag or credit allowance left via here please

https://giffgaff.com/dashboard

2. Double check roaming is enabled via here switch on/of roaming https://giffgaff.com/call-services

3. Try what's called a manual roam as explained here

http://is.gd/manualroam

4. Check this guide to using giffgaff overseas http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Using-your-mobile-abroad/ta-p/3522931

5. Double check your settings against these ones Manual settings could you try this guide via your mobile data settings an select add new apn or edit a prestored one EG 02 then enter theseSmiley Happy Connection Name: giffgaff

APN: giffgaff.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not Set

Username: giffgaff

Password: [leave blank]

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://mmsc.media   messaging.co.uk:8 002

MMS proxy: 82.132.254.1

MMS port: 8080

MCC: 234

MNC: 10

Authentication Type:"PAP or CHAP"

APN type: default,supl,mms

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: IMSI

MVNO value: 23410x also remember to click save once you have entered these setting an restart phone 

6. https://giffgaff.com/fair-usage-while-roaming 

All received calls are free from anywhere in the world 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 59
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:34
Please read the actual question and not just the topic headline if you are going to reply, thank you. Can anyone else please answer my questions?
Message 5 of 59
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:38
Why are you all replying without reading the actual question, I know how to roam and what settings, and have red everything giffgaff says about roaming, THAT IS NOT WHAT I AM ASKING. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE READ MY ACTUAL QUESTIONS AND REPLY PLEASE ONLY IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER, THNKYOU
Message 6 of 59
by: tired16
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:41

Hi @justbe

I've done some digging and found this: 

When calling a foreign phone number from your mobile phone you must use the International dialling code. This applies if you are in the UK or abroad.

Based on the above, it appears you'd need to dial the code prior to making any calls. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Please remember to select a "Best answer" and give "Kudos" to those that have helped you. Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 59
by: tired16
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:46

I haven't been able to find the answer to your second question thus far.

You can however, contact an agent on this generic link:

https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

P.S. I'd like to think we do exist and aren't an illusion. Smiley Wink 

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Please remember to select a "Best answer" and give "Kudos" to those that have helped you. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 59
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:50
Thank you Tired16,

This atleast answers one of my questions, So I know know that when in the Netherlands I still have to dial local people's numbers with all the international codes infront of the actual number. Thanks again for taking the time to hunt for an answer, nice to see someone actualy read and understood the question.???

thanks

Now does anyone know the answer to 1) When I am in the Netherlands, if someone from the Netherlands calls my phone while I am in the Netherlands, will they be charged international rates and will they have to use +44 and international codes etc. before dialling me.? Or will it just be like a local charge for them?
Message 9 of 59
on: 12/01/2019 | 15:55
P.S yeah I would rather like it if we were real to, but the Agent help menu has forgotten to add the UK , so it won't let me proceed to open a question. No UK and No Great Britain, nothing to select. I have cliked a Kudos for you 😀
Message 10 of 59