Knowledge Base
Community

Help! Im old and technology now frightens me....

Started by: paauggie
On: 20/05/2016 | 15:56
Replies: 13

Go to best answer
by: paauggie
on: 20/05/2016 | 15:56

Hi

Apologies in advance if this is a boneheaded question but I've had an HTC one M7 with giffgaff for years - I've just bought a cheap phone to take to music festivals this summer - mainly to use as an MP3 player and not have to worry to much about losing it. 

What I'd like to do is  keep my number the same for both phones - i.e not have to take the sim out of the HTC but have a spare one I can put in the new phone with all the same details.

My guess is that this probably isnt possible but would much appreciate if anyone could confirm this.  Also, if I do have to take the sim out do I need to back anything up and is there a best way to do that? 

Thank you very much in advance for any advice offered

Phil.

P.S Dont get old if you can help it - not so long ago I'd have been answering questions like this on forums rather than curling up into a foetal position just at the thought of having to work out new fangled technologies....

Message 1 of 14
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: willp789
on: 20/05/2016 | 15:58 edited: 20/05/2016 | 16:01

Hi there,

I'm afraid that I have to confirm your worry, this isn't possible with giffgaff. If you end up having to take the SIM out of your HTC, you shouldn't need to back anything up. The one thing which may be stored on the SIM is a few contacts so you might want to back those up to Google or the phone's internal memory.

I found this particular app quite useful for backing up my SIM a while ago:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shao.Copy2SIM

(Despite the name of the app, it is perfectly capable of copying both ways round)

I hope this helps, sorry about the bad news... Have a nice day Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
Highlighted
by: willp789
on: 20/05/2016 | 15:58 edited: 20/05/2016 | 16:01

Hi there,

I'm afraid that I have to confirm your worry, this isn't possible with giffgaff. If you end up having to take the SIM out of your HTC, you shouldn't need to back anything up. The one thing which may be stored on the SIM is a few contacts so you might want to back those up to Google or the phone's internal memory.

I found this particular app quite useful for backing up my SIM a while ago:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shao.Copy2SIM

(Despite the name of the app, it is perfectly capable of copying both ways round)

I hope this helps, sorry about the bad news... Have a nice day Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
by: star1000
on: 20/05/2016 | 16:01

So your old yet going to a music festivals like a young one Cat Happy Smiley Very Happy

sorry it isnt possible

But you could buy a sim adapter and do it that way

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-IN-1-PACK-NANO-TO-MICRO-STANDARD-SIM-CARD-ADAPTER-FOR-VARIOUS-MOBILE-PHO...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 14
by: holymoly
on: 20/05/2016 | 16:02
@paauggie
You can't have the same number on 2 sims.

The way I back up my contacts is just to scribble them down on a notepad for safekeeping (I'm old school when it comes to back up don't trust technology for it)
Message 4 of 14
by: jamesrossuk
on: 20/05/2016 | 16:03
you can only have the 1 number per account.
do you know if your sim fits both phones
Message 5 of 14
by: thunderstrike
on: 20/05/2016 | 16:04

I don't think this is possible, I'm afraid.

Message 6 of 14
by: eddie2901
on: 20/05/2016 | 16:05
Hi what ever phone you get you can only have one for each number, but as you say you want to have it as a spare phone just incase you lose it.
Well if you lost your phone you don't want to lose your main one so use two and your contacts will know when your away, as you will use your new number.
Good luck
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 14
by: star1000
on: 20/05/2016 | 16:07

the sim adapter would keep your number for both phones

but you could only have one phone at a time and would need to take the sim out every time

you could open a new gg account but it will be dif numbers on each sim

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 14
on: 20/05/2016 | 22:23
Thanks loads for help - especially the app which will prove very handy
Message 9 of 14
on: 20/05/2016 | 23:01
Thanks very much for answer and jolly handy link ....as for festivals unfortunately I'm not talking about stumbling around glastonbury with triple vision ...these days think more Morris Dancers and sedate folk music....
Message 10 of 14