Knowledge Base
Community

How could i use a gb data in 14mins?

Started by: johnmells
On: 16/05/2019 | 00:56
Replies: 5

by: johnmells
on: 16/05/2019 | 00:56

Used all my data but had a message saying well give you 1 gb. 14mins later? You say I used it?

Message 1 of 6
by: jaymailsays
on: 16/05/2019 | 01:07

@johnmellswrote:

Used all my data but had a message saying well give you 1 gb. 14mins later? You say I used it?

@johnmells The 1GB Extra is added at 80% of goodybag use.So you may have been using up the 1GB for a while.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 6
by: johnmells
on: 16/05/2019 | 01:48
Thank you for your reply. I've just checked the txts and they sent the 80% txt 23mins before before it ran out. So they are saying I've used the last 20% and the gb in 2mins. Is that even possible? Especially when I only checked my fb and flicked through a couple of videos
Message 3 of 6
by: macca28
on: 16/05/2019 | 01:57

@johnmellsHi

goodybag allowances or credit balance incorrect?
https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Top-up-balances-and-goodybags/goodybag-allowances-or-credit-ba...
average response is about 4 hours, but times can vary
see agent replies here https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 6
by: jaymailsays
on: 16/05/2019 | 02:02

@johnmells 

Texts do get delayed at times especially if the device is being used to watch videos.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 6
by: mrsgrowler
on: 16/05/2019 | 08:20

@johnmellswrote:

Thank you for your reply. I've just checked the txts and they sent the 80% txt 23mins before before it ran out. So they are saying I've used the last 20% and the gb in 2mins. Is that even possible? Especially when I only checked my fb and flicked through a couple of videos

Although it does seem a lot of data to have used so quickly @johnmells it is not impossible.

As data is like electricity ie giffgaff provides the means to access it but how it is used is up to you, it means that asking giffgaff where you have used the data will not be possible.

However you should be able to check your phone to see the data used by each app and the phone itself and you can then go to any that appear to have used a large amount and check that app’s settings.

You should also consider the following - the list is not exhaustive

• Do you have “wifi assist” (or Android equivalent) enabled - note this works even if Mobile Data is set to OFF
  • Do you leave Mobile Data ON at all times 
  • Is your device set to ONLY update over wifi
  • Are your apps set to ONLY update over wifi
  • Do you let apps run in the background
  • Are there any rogue apps - you should be able to check which apps are using the most data
  • Do your FB settings allow “play embedded videos” as default
  • Do you watch videos in HD
  • Do you use any Live Streaming services
  • Do you tether any other devices - note if you do then these can update their OS and / or apps while connected as they are “on wifi”
  • Malware 

Also have a quick read of this which contains more information about on some of the items on the list

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/5-easy-ways-to-reduce-your-mobile-data-consumption/ba-p/16102...

Although it won’t help now it may be worth downloading a data manager app so that in the future you  can monitor things as you go and immediately identify anything unusual.

I use mydatamanager which also offers the chance to set multiple custom alerts so that you wouldn’t have to rely on the receipt of giffgaff’s messages because, as you have discovered, these cannot be guaranteed to arrive “in time” due to the vagaries of the SMS network.

Thank everybody you think deserves it by awarding Kudos. And give Best Answer to the post that has helped you the most
Message 6 of 6