Knowledge Base
Community

How do I keep my current number in sim swap?

Started by: xxanaxx
On: 08/08/2016 | 13:14
Replies: 6

Go to best answer
by: xxanaxx
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:14

I got a new nano sim, which I want to replace my old micro sim. Both sims are giff-gaff ones.

I know I can easily replace the sims (goodybags etc), but it tells me that if I do this I can't keep my number and what I really want is to keep my number.

So how do I do this?

I tried to contact the agents, but I can't seem to do that since giff-gaff to giffgaff transfers are not part of their pre-set forms when trying to contact an agent.

Can anyone help please?

Message 1 of 7
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: terencedaly
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:20

Hi @xxanaxx

You are correct in thinking sim swap is your option.You will keep your number

SIM Swap allows you to transfer your giffgaff number to a brand new SIM card including existing goodybags/gigabags and airtime credit.

To perform a SIM Swap:

• Back-up any contacts, texts and other data saved on your current SIM to your phone memory or PC, as this cannot be transferred through SIM Swap.
  • Go to the Replace your SIM section of My giffgaff and click on 'Activate your SIM'.

If you have an active PAC code on your account then the link above will not work for you. Instead follow this link to perform a SIM swap and proceed from point 3.

SIM swap 01.png

• Enter the 6 digit activation code of the new SIM card, and click 'Continue'.

SIM swap 02.PNG

• This is where SIM Swap starts. It will ask you to confirm that you want to swap SIMs. (You'll need to double check the SIM Serial Numbers (SSN) to confirm you've logged into the correct account.)

SIM swap 03.png

• After choosing "Yes, I want to replace my SIM" then "Yes, I'm sure", your old SIM will be deactivated and activation of the new SIM will begin. This may take anything from a few minutes to 24 hours - the 'norm' is around 30 minutes.

SIM swap 04.png

• Once you have pressed 'Yes I'm sure' click the button to take you back to My giffgaff where your dashboard will look like this. Once the SIM is activated your goodybag/gigabag and airtime credit will show.

SIM swap 05.PNG

• Put the new SIM into your device. Turn the device OFF/ON at 30 minute intervals until you get a signal and the SIM starts working.

• You have completed SIM Swap! Enjoy.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 7
by: weelesleymc
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:15

dont worry 

goodybag and credit carry across with your number it would normally take around 30 minutes

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 7
by: mcilwraith
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:17

as long as you do the sim swap properly there should be no problem with your number @xxanaxx

just follow the instructions

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084

Message 3 of 7
by: antonio75
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:17
Hi....watch the youtube video on how to do a giffgaff sim swap.
Message 4 of 7
by: bigjohnhall
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:19
Hi, sim swap keeps your number goodybags credit and payback on the new sim
https://giffgaff.com/profile/details#simswap
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 7
by: terencedaly
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:20

Hi @xxanaxx

You are correct in thinking sim swap is your option.You will keep your number

SIM Swap allows you to transfer your giffgaff number to a brand new SIM card including existing goodybags/gigabags and airtime credit.

To perform a SIM Swap:

• Back-up any contacts, texts and other data saved on your current SIM to your phone memory or PC, as this cannot be transferred through SIM Swap.
  • Go to the Replace your SIM section of My giffgaff and click on 'Activate your SIM'.

If you have an active PAC code on your account then the link above will not work for you. Instead follow this link to perform a SIM swap and proceed from point 3.

SIM swap 01.png

• Enter the 6 digit activation code of the new SIM card, and click 'Continue'.

SIM swap 02.PNG

• This is where SIM Swap starts. It will ask you to confirm that you want to swap SIMs. (You'll need to double check the SIM Serial Numbers (SSN) to confirm you've logged into the correct account.)

SIM swap 03.png

• After choosing "Yes, I want to replace my SIM" then "Yes, I'm sure", your old SIM will be deactivated and activation of the new SIM will begin. This may take anything from a few minutes to 24 hours - the 'norm' is around 30 minutes.

SIM swap 04.png

• Once you have pressed 'Yes I'm sure' click the button to take you back to My giffgaff where your dashboard will look like this. Once the SIM is activated your goodybag/gigabag and airtime credit will show.

SIM swap 05.PNG

• Put the new SIM into your device. Turn the device OFF/ON at 30 minute intervals until you get a signal and the SIM starts working.

• You have completed SIM Swap! Enjoy.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
by: xxanaxx
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:24

Thanks guys, from what I understand I get to keep my number in the sim swap! I'm gonna go ahead and try.

Thanks

Message 7 of 7