Community

How do I set up personal hotspot on my iPhone 4

Started by: bradlowe
On: 05/01/2014 | 19:48
Replies: 9

Go to best answer
by: bradlowe
on: 05/01/2014 | 19:48
I go onto my settings then go to 'mobile' then 'set up personal hotspot' and it says 'set up personal hotspot' how do i do this
Message 1 of 10
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: amir667
on: 05/01/2014 | 19:50
I'm sorry, this feature is not available as standard on the iphone. You are required to carry out the process of jailbreaking your iphone in order to get personal hot spot feature , as giffgaff is not supported as a carrier of apple.

If you have jailbreakon your iphone, you’ll want to install a tethering app from cydia.

The most popular iPhone tethering app is called TetherMe others avaliable are mywii and pdaNet On giffgaff please note tethering is only permitted on the £5, £7.50 , £10 goodybags and gigabags.

For more info on the tethering policy on giffgaff please follow the link below to guide: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Tethering-policy/ta-p/7816336
Click here to get your free giffgaff sim with £5 free credit
Message 2 of 10
by: amir667
on: 05/01/2014 | 19:50
I'm sorry, this feature is not available as standard on the iphone. You are required to carry out the process of jailbreaking your iphone in order to get personal hot spot feature , as giffgaff is not supported as a carrier of apple.

If you have jailbreakon your iphone, you’ll want to install a tethering app from cydia.

The most popular iPhone tethering app is called TetherMe others avaliable are mywii and pdaNet On giffgaff please note tethering is only permitted on the £5, £7.50 , £10 goodybags and gigabags.

For more info on the tethering policy on giffgaff please follow the link below to guide: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Tethering-policy/ta-p/7816336
Click here to get your free giffgaff sim with £5 free credit
Message 2 of 10
by: w69d
on: 05/01/2014 | 19:51
hi,you can't setup the iPhone default hot spot feature on giffgaff ,only after jailbreaking the iPhone will you be allowed to use a 3rd party app for tethering
Message 3 of 10
by: dalan
on: 05/01/2014 | 19:53
Sorry, but You can't tether with iphones or ipads on giffgaff, without jail breaking your phone or ipad. This is because apple does not recognise giffgaff as a network carrier.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 10
by: bob201012
on: 05/01/2014 | 20:00
Hotspot iphone

Apple does not recognise giffgaff as an official iphone carrier and therefore when using a giffgaff sim, some features are not enabled. In order to access the hotspot feature, you will have to jailbreak your phone.
Message 5 of 10
by: jeancalvy
on: 07/01/2014 | 00:50
Hello,

Unfortunately you cannot tether with a iPhone unless it is jailbroken.
If your phone is jailbroken then it is possible to tether with giffgaff however you must not tether with any of the unlimited data goodybags.

Here are the goodybags and gigabags that you CAN tether on -

• £5 Hokey Cokey - 60 mins, 20MB data, 300 texts, free giffgaff to giffgaff
• £7.50 goodybag - 200 mins, 250GB data, unlimited texts, free giffgaff to giffgaff
• £10 goodybag - 500 mins, 1GB, unlimited texts, free giffgaff to giffgaff
• £5 gigabag - 500MB
• £7.50 gigabag - 1GB
• £12.50 gigabag - 3GB

You must NOT tether on any of these goodybags -

• £12 goodybag - 250 mins, unlimited data, unlimited texts, free giffgaff to giffgaff
• £15 goodybag - 400 mins, unlimited data, unlimited texts, free giffgaff to giffgaff
• £20 goodybag - 1200 mins, unlimited data, unlimited texts, free giffgaff to giffgaff
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 10
by: mastercueman
on: 07/01/2014 | 02:08
As others have said, unless your iPhone is jailbroken then in afraid you can't use the hotspot function. As a fellow iPhone user, this is my only grievance with using giffgaff although I appreciate it's Apple who cause the problem, not giffgaff. Hopefully this is something that can be sorted between the two companies in the not so distant future.
Message 7 of 10
by: nksoni_18
on: 07/01/2014 | 10:01
try what Amir mentioned.. that should work like a charm..

God bless
Message 8 of 10
by: halfprice98
on: 22/06/2014 | 09:20
Haha the 7.50 goody bag is not 250 GB
Message 9 of 10
by: dugblare
on: 22/06/2014 | 09:32

Tethering can now work with later iphone models running iOS 7! 

You need to be running iOS 7.1.1 to automatically receive the carrier file

This means only the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, and 5S

Tethering cant happen on giffgaff if its an earlier model i.e. 3gsor even earlier

However for these earlier models running iOS 6.1.6 try the following

Reset Network Settings (under Settings > General > Reset) then using Safari over wifi install this configuration profile http://giff.ly/iphonesettings

Have a read of this thread  for further information

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Advice/Official-Iphone-carrier-file-23-5-14/m-p/13187949/highl...

One important thing to remember though is that tethering isn't allowed if you have an unlimited internet plan

---------------------------------------------------------------------

How to tether with an iphone

On your iPhone, tap SettingsGeneralNetwork. Tap the Personal Hotspot option.

Tap the Wi-Fi Password option. This will enable you to prevent unauthorized devices from connecting.

Type your desired password and tap Done.

Slide the Personal Hotspot option from OFF to ON to enable Internet sharing. The phone will create a Wi-Fi network with the same name as your iPhone device name (John's iPhone, for example).

To connect your other devices to the phone's Internet connection, add them to the Wi-Fi network that the phone created, using the same process you would for any other Wi-Fi network. 

One important thing to remember though is that tethering isn't allowed if you have an unlimited internet plan

Message 10 of 10