Community

How do the goodybags work? charges?

Started by: kelly68
On: 02/07/2014 | 15:48
Replies: 23

by: abbyg
on: 02/07/2014 | 21:06
Hi kelly68

I had exactly the same worries as you when I first started using GG goody bags. Having being used to very expensive pay-as-you-go rates and needing to drastically reduce my outgoings I was petrified of accidentally incurring huge data charges whilst getting used to a new service provider (GG) and a newly acquired smart phone.

What I did was order a £10 goody bag but NO extra airtime/credit. This ensured that if I used up my goody bag then I would not be paying extra money for calls etc as there would be no credit to take it from!! Even though I never use up my full allowance from the £10 goody bag I prefer to be overly cautious rather than risk running out of minutes before the goody bag expires. Some may say it's a waste to lose unused minutes or data when your goody bag expires, but it's my personal preference. You'll be sent a reminder a couple of days before your daughter's goody bag expires and will also be offered a suggestion of a cheaper/more expensive one, depending on her usage. However, if you are giving your daughter a set allowance with the hope that she will use it sparingly, then you are not obliged to act on GG's recommendations, how much you buy is totally up to you each month.

It sounds like you've already understood the importance of using wifi when it's available at home. Make sure your daughter is familiar with her phone's settings so that her mobile data is switched off if you do go ahead and buy her extra credit as well as her £7.50 goody bag. Once I got used to using my smart phone and I became familiar with the way the goody bag worked I then added airtime/credit to my account. BTW, the credit lasts until you use it up, so if you buy £5 of credit, it does not expire with a goody bag so you don't need to worry about 'use it or lose it' with any credit you buy. I've had unused credit on my phone for months and it comes in handy for international texts, which are not included in a goody bag. If your daughter uses skype video or similar to contact her friends with her phone (and she has credit on her phone) then it is VERY important that her phone is set to wifi and not mobile data, otherwise her goody bag data allowance and then any further airtime credit she has on her phone will get gobbled up very quickly. I ONLY EVER turn on my mobile data allowance when I'm away from home and need to quickly check my emails.

One last thing, I don't have a recurring goody bag simply because I take frequent trips overseas so if, for example, my goody bag expires a few days before I'm about to fly off, I use skype or FaceTime on my iPad to keep in touch with friends using my home wifi, or sparingly use my phone's airtime credit to text/phone, and you can still receive calls/texts so it's not like you're unreachable. I don't use my phone much when overseas, I tend to use skype via hotel wifi. Then, once back in the UK I start up a new goody bag and get the full month's usage out of it.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, just come back on here and post. As you've already discovered, you'll get lots of very prompt helpful responses :-)
Message 21 of 24
by: greenfrogman
on: 02/07/2014 | 21:27
As its a smartphone 250mb will not last very long unless basic browsing and lots of wifi (not for a kid any way)

When you first start using the phone your better off a with £12 unlimited goodybag and then see how much data she is using each month

Do not turn on auto topup if your recurring a goodybag (recurring goodybags come from the card directly you do not need any credit on the account) or the phone will topup what ever you set it to

Install WhatsApp and viber if you wish to see pictures as it uses data to send them (its free the other person needs WhatsApp or viber as well)

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Message 22 of 24
by: steflouise
on: 02/07/2014 | 21:34
HI as previous post suggest i would buy maybe the £10 goodybag and see how she uses it as nothing is more annoying as a teenager if you cant use your phone. I wouldnt enable recur goodybag yet until you know which would be best for her . But do encourage her to use wifi at home as that doesnt use data.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 23 of 24
Highlighted
by: ian011
on: 02/07/2014 | 22:10 edited: 03/07/2014 | 20:02

@abbyg wrote:
What I did was order a £10 goody bag but NO extra airtime/credit. This ensured that if I used up my goody bag then I would not be paying extra money for calls etc as there would be no credit to take it from!! Even though I never use up my full allowance from the £10 goody bag I prefer to be overly cautious rather than risk running out of minutes before the goody bag expires. Some may say it's a waste to lose unused minutes or data when your goody bag expires, but it's my personal preference.

The simple way to look at it is to ask yourself whether what you actually used you got for the best possible price.

If you used 250 minutes in a month, those would have cost £25.00 on pay as you go, but as you only paid £10.00 for the goodybag you have saved money. It is irrelevant how many minutes are left over.

If you only used 150 minutes in a month, you would have been slightly better off with the £7.50 goodybag.

If you only use 30 minutes in a month, then 30 minutes at 10p/min is £3.00 and it's likely not worth getting a goodybag at all - unless you also send some texts.

Message 24 of 24