Community

How do the goodybags work? charges?

Started by: kelly68
On: 02/07/2014 | 15:48
Replies: 23

by: kelly68
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:48

Hi !

I am thinking of buying a £7.50 goodybag for my daughter but i am confused by some of the information I have read about how they work.

It seems I have the option to make the payment continual. Does this mean that each month, on the same date, the £7.50 goes out of my bank and no more?

I have read some conflicting info about the "capping" of charges that I just dont understand. Some people say that once the mins/MB and texts run out, the person no longer can use it until you "top it up" and others say that you can use it but you are charged 2p perminute.???

I would like to think that i could set up the recurring payment of £7.50 per month and that once she has used her alloted time or data that it just will not allow her to use anymore AT ALL, therefore I would not be spending any more than the £7.50 per month, no matter what.

Can someone please tell if that is the case?

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 24
by: ian011
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:51 edited: 03/07/2014 | 19:59

You can buy a Goodybag once and it will last for a month or you can set it recur monthly.

Goodybags include "UK minutes" for the following:
* calls to 01 and 02 numbers (not including Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man)
* calls to 03 numbers
* calls to standard mobile numbers beginning 071-075 and 077-079 (not including Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man)
* calls to voicemail on 443 (each call takes one minute from the allowance)

All other calls, such as 084, 087, 09 premium rate, etc are charged as listed here and need separate call credit.

Calls from the UK to international destinations are listed here and need separate call credit.

Once the allowance is used up, calls to the numbers listed above revert to the pay as you go rates for the remainder of the month. You need separate call credit for these calls.

Goodybags also include an allowance of texts and internet usage.

Once that has been used up, the pay as you go rates also apply and need separate call credit.

If you do not have any separate call credit or "Airtime" loaded, then you cannot make any calls other than what comes in the Goodybag allowance.

You have to top up with £10.00 the first time, so you will have £2.50 left over for this use.

Message 2 of 24
by: star1000
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:53

See here

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=giffgaff%20goodybags&utm_cam...

that once she has used her alloted time or data that it just will not allow her to use anymore AT ALL

that is right, unless you have added air time. If you have it will be taken from that, if not then it will no longer work

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 24
by: antonio75
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:54
That will be correct..
Message 4 of 24
by: kelly68
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:55

I realise how dumb I will sound but... what is airtime? And it is something I can add on top of the £7.50 goodybag?

Message 5 of 24
by: davejybandit
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:56 edited: 03/07/2014 | 12:23

Yes you are correct, if you only buy the £7.50 goodybag once it has ran out of any allowances that will be it until next months goodybag starts.

If you also have a credit balance (which you will the first month, since activating a SIM  requires a minimum £10 Top-up) then once the goodybag is used the credit will start to be used.

So you are safe from any unknown charges No goodybag or Credit means no calls texts or data. giffgaff is PAYG all charges are upfront, so no surprise Bills.

Message 6 of 24
by: figment_uk
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:58

@kelly68 wrote:

Hi !

I am thinking of buying a £7.50 goodybag for my daughter but i am confused by some of the information I have read about how they work.

It seems I have the option to make the payment continual. Does this mean that each month, on the same date, the £7.50 goes out of my bank and no more?

I have read some conflicting info about the "capping" of charges that I just dont understand. Some people say that once the mins/MB and texts run out, the person no longer can use it until you "top it up" and others say that you can use it but you are charged 2p perminute.???

I would like to think that i could set up the recurring payment of £7.50 per month and that once she has used her alloted time or data that it just will not allow her to use anymore AT ALL, therefore I would not be spending any more than the £7.50 per month, no matter what.

Can someone please tell if that is the case?

Many thanks.

@rkelly68 

As a PAYG network, you can never spend what's not already on your account.

If you buy the £7.50 goodybag, and set it to recur, your bank card will be charged £7.50 on the same date each month. This will give your daughter

• 200 UK minutes (to call standard UK landlines (01,02,03) and standard UK mobiles)
  • Unlimited UK texts
  • 250MB of mobile data
  • Unlimited free calls (limited to 60 mins per call) and texts to other giffgaff numbers

If she uses up any of the above allowances, that item will stop working until the next goodybag kicks in on the renewal date, unless you have also added airtime credit to her account, in which case the extra use of that item she's used up will be charged against that credit until it's all gone, at 2p per megabyte for data, 10p per minute for calls and 6p per text.

So, if you wish to limit her to a budget of £7.50 per month, do not add any additional credit to the account, and when (for example) she's used up her 200 minutes, she will not be able to make any more calls (except to other giffgaff numbers) until her next goodybag starts.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 7 of 24
by: mcilwraith
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:59

@kelly68 airtime credit is on top of the goodybag.

its in case of mms picture messages or premiun numbers

if you dont want it there just buy the monthly goodybag on recurring and thats it.

Message 8 of 24
by: davejybandit
on: 02/07/2014 | 15:59

Yes Airtime is additional Credit on top of goodybags, it's needed if you want to call out of goodybag numbers like 0845, 09 or International numbers. Otherwise not needed.

Message 9 of 24
by: sloz
on: 02/07/2014 | 16:03 edited: 02/07/2014 | 16:06
@kelly68
Payments will never be taken out off your bank/card if you run out calls and data
If you don't have airtime credit, you will be unable to call ( apart from other giffgaff numbers and freephone numbers )
And use data ( apart from connecting to giffgaff's pages )

Airtime credit is used for things not included in a goodybag allowance like,,,,
Sending mms
Calling 084 and 087 numbers
Calling and texting international numbers
Calling and texting premium and shortcode numbers

To add " airtime credit"
Http://giffgaff.com/buy
And click top up your number

This will top up the account manually
( don't set up an auto top up on the account
Leave the small box unticked)

So a goodybag and airtime credit are sepperate from each other