Knowledge Base
Community

I have been told I will be charged but I have not had any usage!

Started by: cag1929
On: 17/07/2018 | 08:30
Replies: 6

Go to best answer
by: cag1929
on: 17/07/2018 | 08:30

I got an message from giffgaff yesterday to say that I will be charged for 2 weeks' roaming charges because I haven't had any usage. The reson i haven't had any usage is because I did not buy a goodybag for a few weeks so I have not had any usage! How can gifgaff threaten to charge me for something I have not used???? Alo, i tried to "ask an agent" via the website but clicking on that brings nothing up for me to ask a question.

Message 1 of 7
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
on: 17/07/2018 | 14:05

Thanks everybody. I now understand. You are right that I mis-read the original message. No need for any more replies to me

Message 6 of 7
by: jfc1951
on: 17/07/2018 | 08:35

cag1929 wrote:

I got an message from giffgaff yesterday to say that I will be charged for 2 weeks' roaming charges because I haven't had any usage. The reson i haven't had any usage is because I did not buy a goodybag for a few weeks so I have not had any usage! How can gifgaff threaten to charge me for something I have not used???? Alo, i tried to "ask an agent" via the website but clicking on that brings nothing up for me to ask a question.

The email relates ONLY to use in other EEA countries @cag1929

There is no impact on use in the UK.

Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.  -  Homer Simpson

Message 2 of 7
by: random112
on: 17/07/2018 | 08:42

Can you read the message again, and perhaps even post it word for word, as I think you are reading it wrong. 

It probably doesn't say they are charging you for anything. It probably says they know you haven't used it for a while and because of that they are just letting you know you will no longer qualify for the free EU roaming, so IF you did go abroad and IF you did use your phone then you would be charged for that use.

Message 3 of 7
by: danhamman
on: 17/07/2018 | 08:46 edited: 17/07/2018 | 08:47

cag1929 wrote:

EU Roaming Message.JPG

Is this the message?

Seems you have not read it fully.

In two weeks time you'll be charged for any EU roaming.

Not two weeks worth of roaming charges.

@cag1929

.:.
Message 4 of 7
by: alant
on: 17/07/2018 | 08:47
It's about time that message was reworded.

I'd like to bet that there are many tens of similar threads asking the same question due to the poorly worded email being misunderstood.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 7
on: 17/07/2018 | 14:05

Thanks everybody. I now understand. You are right that I mis-read the original message. No need for any more replies to me

Message 6 of 7
by: harrrrrry
on: 17/07/2018 | 19:52

@alant

It's about time that message was reworded.

This is wrong too:

any usage in the EU and selected destinations will be charged 
from your balance even if you have a goodybag

Here's the correct situation:

• without a goodybag, the full cost of 15p/minute, 5p/text. 5p/MB applies and is charged from credit
  • if you have a goodybag only the supplement of 3.2p/minute, 1p/text, 0.6p/MB is charged from credit -- as stated at https://giffgaff.com/roaming-charges#accordion-3 

That's a sizeable reduction on the cost if you don't have a goodybag, The bulk of the cost continues to come out of the goodybag. Only the supplement is charged from credit.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 7 of 7