Knowledge Base
Community

I have inserted the new sim card and my phone is asking for a 4 digit network unlock pin. don't have

Started by: redtiger61
On: 02/06/2016 | 08:23
Replies: 7

by: redtiger61
on: 02/06/2016 | 08:23

Where do I get a SIm network unlock pin

Message 1 of 8
by: weeman
on: 02/06/2016 | 08:26

Is your phone unlocked or locked to o2?

Trey 5555.

George

Message 3 of 8
by: wreedie
on: 02/06/2016 | 08:28
That message means that your phone needs unlocking before you can use it with a giffgaff sim card. Giffgaff sims only work in unlocked phones, or those that are sim / network locked to O2 UK. You can get the unlock code from the original network provider of the phone, or you can get the phone unlocked at a phone shop. You can also search for unlock codes on EBay. All options for unlocking the device will cost you a small fee.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 8
by: biggb
on: 02/06/2016 | 08:30
Hi
To get your phone unlocked to any network you can go to a phone store or giffgaff can do it which can be quite pricey it will cost 5-10 pounds. however let me tell u a hack get it off eBay I did it and it only cost me £1.98 all you need is you phone make and your imei which you can get from your phone. Buy the code from eBay and they will message you the pin which will then be used to unlock the phone
P.s set me as best answer or give me a kudos
Message 5 of 8
by: smaugsbane
on: 02/06/2016 | 09:08
Do NOT try 5555. @weeman - that's dangerous advice!

If you use the wrong PIN more than a few times (with some phones that's as few as three times), your phone will become permanently locked.

The PIN is the one needed to unlock the phone such that it can use the network of the SIM you have inserted. It's not something that's known to giffgaff - it's only known to the network to which your phone is locked.

Try contacting the network to which the phone is locked. If you bought it from a network, it'll be that network to which the phone is locked. Otherwise you'll need to work out to which network the phone is locked. Where did you buy the phone?
Message 6 of 8
by: weeman
on: 02/06/2016 | 09:29

smaugsbane wrote:

Do NOT try 5555. @weeman - that's dangerous advice!

If you use the wrong PIN more than a few times (with some phones that's as few as three times), your phone will become permanently locked.

The PIN is the one needed to unlock the phone such that it can use the network of the SIM you have inserted. It's not something that's known to giffgaff - it's only known to the network to which your phone is locked.

Try contacting the network to which the phone is locked. If you bought it from a network, it'll be that network to which the phone is locked. Otherwise you'll need to work out to which network the phone is locked. Where did you buy the phone?

@smaugsbane

Dangerous????Really?I think you're being a bit over dramatic there mate.

I've unlocked loads of phones over the years with unlock codes,and I've never seen 1 that uses 4 digits to unlock a phone,that's why i suggested the gg sim unlock code,thinking the OP'er has got mixed up.

Besides is it not a case of just contacting the network and getting a PUK code if the phone getslocked out?

George

Message 7 of 8
by: smaugsbane
on: 02/06/2016 | 18:43
@weeman - If you "use up" your unlock attempts for a SIM network unlock PIN then the phone can be permanently locked - and this is dangerous in the sense that it prevents normal usage of the phone, and can make it unusable or unsellable. And I really do mean "permanently".

A PIN Unlock Key is for unlocking a SIM when you've tried the wrong SIM PIN too many times. It's tied to the SIM. It is not useful for helping out with a phone that is now permanently locked to a network because someone has entered the wrong SIM network unlock PIN too many times.

Some phones even go so far as to burn out a fuse and block any attempts to enter an unlock code at a physical level. Others can be revived, but require reflashing using a 'special' cable, only some of which are available outside of the phone manufacturers labs. If you're very lucky then it might be possible for a local phone shop to unlock your phone if you've entered the wrong SIM network unlock PIN too many times.

It's not possible to be certain as to the length of a real SIM network unlock PIN (it varies, sometimes even between variants of the same model of phone, or with network) - but it's not uncommon for phones to accept incorrect input even if it is too short. So entering 5555 can very easily lock the phone permanently.

@redtiger61 - do you know to which network your phone is locked? If not, there are some mechanisms to check - but they depend on which phone you have, and sometimes it will come down to getting SIMs from all of the networks and trying them out.
Message 8 of 8