Knowledge Base
Community

I have no service in Bahrain and have followed previous advice from the forum to no avail

Started by: dirtyepic
On: 09/05/2016 | 11:06
Replies: 12

by: dirtyepic
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:06

Hi,

I have tried to make a call from Bahrain and received the message 'All outgoing calls except emergencies are barred'.

I have googled this and followed numerous links within the Giffgaff forum website and noticed that the issues were from as far back as 2014.

I have temporarily changed the carrier, as recommended, it made no difference. I've restarted and also made no difference.

I followed all advice with regards this issue and still I am unable to phone out. This is a bit annoying as I have added £20 credit to enable me to call back to the UK.

I look forward to any suggestions to resolve this.

Message 1 of 13
by: lynda1962
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:09
@dirtyepic, hi there, please try restarting your phone as this sometimes helps then turn it off and on a few times so it can connect to the local network, make sure you have enough airtime credit as goodybags only work in the uk.

Message 2 of 13
by: stevieco
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:11
First try turning your phone off for a minute and switching back on you see if that resolves it.

If not, check the signal in your area to check for any faults with the network in your area. You can do so by visiting this website www.bit.ly/ggservicestatus

If everything is okay with the signal in your area then you should try a manual roam which will update your connection with the network. Click on this link to view how to do a manual roam http://is.gd/manualroam.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 13
by: endorphin
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:16
Hmm, can you try swapping SIMs with another phone to see if that works for you? Not an ideal solution I know.
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 4 of 13
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:43 edited: 09/05/2016 | 11:45

Hi Stevieco, 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

The link to check the signal in my area doesn't recognise the Bahrain address. It's asking for a valid postcode or address.

I've also tried the manual roam advice again and I still get the same message about my calls being barred.

Thanks anyway

Message 5 of 13
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:45

Hi lynda1962,

Thanks for posting so quickly.

The phone has been restarted numerous times now and it shows it's still connected to the local network which is Batelco. I purchased another £20 airtime credit yesterday and it's all ready to spend!

Cheers

Message 6 of 13
by: endorphin
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:46
The signal checker is only for the UK!

Did you try swapping SIMs with another phone?
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 7 of 13
by: bigdaveuk
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:51
is bahrain in Asia ? are you puting the +before the number ?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 13
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:57
Hi bigdaveuk, Yeah, it's in Asia. I've replaced the 0 in the UK dialling code with 44. How do I use + sign on the iPhone dialling keypad? It's on the '0' button. Sorry if this seems a bit of a ridiculous question but I've never had to press the + button in the past! To be quite honest, for any UK numbers in my contact list, that I've called from abroad, the iPhone usually just connects using the international dialling code. Bahrain is the only place where I've had a problem.
Message 9 of 13
on: 09/05/2016 | 11:58
Hi endorphin, thanks for your suggestion. I can't try that just now but will do when the man of the house returns from work!
Message 10 of 13