Knowledge Base
Community

I want to unlock my phone which is locked to the giffgaff network. Does anyone know how to do this?

Started by: leighguthrie24
On: 08/08/2016 | 13:24
Replies: 5

by: leighguthrie24
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:24

Just less than a month ago I bought an iPhone 5S from Carphone warehouse and I put a Giffgaff sim in it. It is now locked to this network and I can't seem to find any information on unlocking it from this network. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks

Message 1 of 6
by: mysticalmianderer
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:25

go to any local retailer phoneshop they will do it.

Please reward with best answers and kudos when you have been helped by giffgaffers

https://www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/mysticalmianderer
You will get an extra £5 credit when activating a sim from an existing giffgaff member so you will have £15 not £10
Message 2 of 6
by: swordfish23041989
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:26
@leighguthrie24

It's probably a soft lock, so just sync it with iTunes, put the other SIM in the phone and it should work.

Giffgaff doesn't lock phones, so getting it unlocked isn't possible. May want to get in touch with CPW and see if they can unlock it as they are the point of sale.
Heya Smiley Wink don't forget to mark a best answer if your issue is sorted on here!

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 6
by: mcilwraith
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:26

giffgaff dont lock phones

your phone is locked to o2....the only way that i would use to unlock a phone from o2 is to become an o2 customer it normally costs £15

1 Get an O2 PAYG SIM card

2 Add credit

3 Do not use the sim for anything and leave phone switched on for around 24 hours 

4 Contact o2 and ask to unlock....o2 will take the £15 credit and unlock the phone

5 Insert any non 02 sim eg vodaphone 3,talkmobile or EE and connect to itunes via USB cable

6 Wait till you see the unlocked confirmation then restart your phone

Message 4 of 6
by: gaffsims
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:30
Giffgaff will not unlock this device for you because they do not have an unlocking service. However, O2 can unlock it for you if you get an O2 PAYG sim card and top it up with £15. Put the sim in the phone for about 24 hours so that O2 links that sim to the phone (disable mobile data and don't use any of the credit). Call O2 (do not go into a shop) and ask them to unlock the device for you. They will ask for the IMEI of the device and as long as it is shown to have been used on their network they will submit an unlock request to Apple. Once the unlock is complete (usually 24 to 72 hours), they will email you and ask you to complete the unlock by syncing your device with itunes while using a sim from a different network (do not use a sim from any network that runs on O2). They will also deduct the £15 unlock fee from the credit that is available on the O2 PAYG sim.
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
by: 1hale
on: 08/08/2016 | 13:30
Sorry but giffgaff DON'T lock phones so can't unlock them either.

The only way to get it unlocked is to:

Buy yourself a O2 SIM card

Top up £15 minimum

Contact O2 customer service and ask for the unlock code and follow their institutions.

Only iPhone purchased direct from Apple or giffgaff remains unlocked for life.

Also it's best to get O2 to unlock as they will permanently unlock it.

Other unlock service could unlock it but on upgrading to next iOS update it could very well lock itself again.

In short it's locked to O2 not giffgaff
Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com! Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!
Message 6 of 6