Knowledge Base
Community

Just joined giffgaff after being recommended, why did I get charged £15 but only £5 on my balance

Started by: percy_007
On: 07/05/2017 | 20:44
Replies: 7

Go to best answer
by: percy_007
on: 07/05/2017 | 20:44

Just joined giffgaff after being recommended, why did I get charged £15 but only £5 on my balance

Message 1 of 8
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: thunderdragon
on: 07/05/2017 | 21:35 edited: 07/05/2017 | 21:45
Hi @percy_007! :-)
As others have worked out, what's happened is:
  1. You've joined GiffGaff and made a payment of £15 by voucher or card,
  2. The £15 you've paid has gone on a £15 GoodyBag (Buying you 5GB data, 1000 mins & unlimited texts to use this month) and does not show on your airtime balance as it's a "pack" of calls, text & data.
  3. The £5 you CAN see is a bonus for joining under your boyfriends referral SIM. You'll get this £5 bonus once only, and your boyfriend also receives a £5 bonus (Payback) for referring you to GiffGaff.
  4. The £5 you have is the same as cash credit and can be spent on calls/texts and data if you go through the allowance you've bought with the £15 GoodyBag, or can be spent on other services (Premium rate texts, MMS charges, roaming etc) that aren't included in the GB allowance.
If you meant to top-up with £15 cash credit (Giving you £20 total) and use that at PAYG rates, you might want to Ask an Agent if they can cancel the GoodyBag and return the credit to you as a cash balance, though they'll only do this is you've not used much of the GoodyBag.
Note that the cost of calls/data to the amounts included in the £15 GoodyBag will cost a LOT more at PAYG rates.

Finally, you should be advised you have your GoodyBag set to recurring, which means it'll automatically be purchased/charged for and applied to your account every month. If this is NOT what you want, please change this in your Account Settings ASAP to avoid incurring unexpected charges.

Hope this helps! :-)
+++ ThunderDragon +++
Edit: HTML formatting and clarification of text.
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 8
by: sloz
on: 07/05/2017 | 20:48
Hi. You purchased a £15 goodybag so that amount won't show on your airtime credit (balance)

The £15 was paid in exchange for a monthly bundle of calls texts and data.

Dial *100*7# for your remaining minutes and goodybsg expiry date

Call 43430 and press option 2 for your remaining data.

The £5 you see is a free bonus upon activation.

Airtime credit is used for items not included in a goodybag
Sending mms
Calling 084 and 087 numbers
Calling and texting international numbers
Calling and texting premium and shortcode numbers
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 8
by: nerakb
on: 07/05/2017 | 20:50

Welcome onboard. 

If you purchased a goodybag,it doesn't appear on your "balance"-they're completely different things. 

Airtime credit (your "balance") is for standard PAYG rates and items not included in any goodybag,eg,premium rate calls,calls/texts to international numbers,MMSs,calls to 101,etc.Airtime credit remains on your account until used. 

Goodybags are bundles of UK minutes,texts and data and last for a month. 

Call 43430 (top up number,free to call from an active giffgaff sim),select option 2 and listen to the recorded message.

What does it tell you? 

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 3 of 8
by: demonix00
on: 07/05/2017 | 20:50
Did you purchase a goodybag when you activated your SIM card?

If you did, then it isn't applied as credit and should show your allowances for it and the £5 credit you do see is the credit you gained by joining by using a referral SIM card (one ordered through a referral link or ordered through their account and handed out).
Message 4 of 8
by: percy_007
on: 07/05/2017 | 21:22
my boyfriend referred me, and the screen says £15 paid, and £15 being taken next month, but only a balance of £5 on my account, is there a £10 fee for joining?
Message 5 of 8
by: nerakb
on: 07/05/2017 | 21:27

percy_007 wrote:

my boyfriend referred me, and the screen says £15 paid, and £15 being taken next month, but only a balance of £5 on my account, is there a £10 fee for joining?

@percy_007

No,there are no "joining fees".

The £15 you've paid (and set up for next month) is your goodybag. 

What exactly are you told when you call 43430 and select option 2? 

Please remember to mark a post "Best Answer" which appropriately answers your question/query.Please remember to also award kudos to posts you've found helpful/useful.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 6 of 8
by: sloz
on: 07/05/2017 | 21:28
@percy_007
As I mentioned. The £15 is paid to giffgaff in exchange for the monthly bundle of calls texts and data

So you don't see that on your airtime credit (balance) total

A goodybag isn't related to your airtime credit (balance)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
by: thunderdragon
on: 07/05/2017 | 21:35 edited: 07/05/2017 | 21:45
Hi @percy_007! :-)
As others have worked out, what's happened is:
  1. You've joined GiffGaff and made a payment of £15 by voucher or card,
  2. The £15 you've paid has gone on a £15 GoodyBag (Buying you 5GB data, 1000 mins & unlimited texts to use this month) and does not show on your airtime balance as it's a "pack" of calls, text & data.
  3. The £5 you CAN see is a bonus for joining under your boyfriends referral SIM. You'll get this £5 bonus once only, and your boyfriend also receives a £5 bonus (Payback) for referring you to GiffGaff.
  4. The £5 you have is the same as cash credit and can be spent on calls/texts and data if you go through the allowance you've bought with the £15 GoodyBag, or can be spent on other services (Premium rate texts, MMS charges, roaming etc) that aren't included in the GB allowance.
If you meant to top-up with £15 cash credit (Giving you £20 total) and use that at PAYG rates, you might want to Ask an Agent if they can cancel the GoodyBag and return the credit to you as a cash balance, though they'll only do this is you've not used much of the GoodyBag.
Note that the cost of calls/data to the amounts included in the £15 GoodyBag will cost a LOT more at PAYG rates.

Finally, you should be advised you have your GoodyBag set to recurring, which means it'll automatically be purchased/charged for and applied to your account every month. If this is NOT what you want, please change this in your Account Settings ASAP to avoid incurring unexpected charges.

Hope this helps! :-)
+++ ThunderDragon +++
Edit: HTML formatting and clarification of text.
WARNING: The "Always On" GoodyBag does NOT offer unlimited data. More details Here.

i before e except after Firefox... Smiley Wink                                     German Sausage jokes: They're the Wurst!... Smiley Tongue
Message 8 of 8