Knowledge Base
Community

Just received unsolicited text from 21203. I think I’ve also been charged for it ! How do I block my number from receiving this type of message?

Started by: conradtudor
On: 08/02/2019 | 12:18
Replies: 25

Go to best answer
by: conradtudor
on: 08/02/2019 | 12:18
Just received unsolicited text message from 21203. I think I’ve been charged for it too. How do I block my number from these scammers?
Message 1 of 26
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: muddycalhoun
on: 08/02/2019 | 12:37

@conradtudor Hi, I must admit I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of which numbers are related to what company (unlike some of our members) Iy might be a premium rate service or"payforit scam" With giffgaff you can't block these and won't get any help dealing with them.

First thing is check your inbox for text messages telling you that you have subscribed to whatever service. If it is a payforit scam you will find a number to send the STOP message to, make certain you have some airtime credit and send the stop message asap. Then it will be a call to their customer helpline and request that you are refunded any money you have been charged.

You can find out lots more information about the payforit scams either by searching the forum and reading the threads on the subject (some of which are very good) or search the web for" payforit sucks" which too is very good.

There is the capability to bar certain premium rate numbers and overseas calling with giffgaff but it would be no help insofar as payforit.com companies are concerned and they are, if you are unfortunate enough to be caught up with these things they are not to be ignored or they will keep adding charges until you stop it, pay it or close down the number.

I hope it is not anything serious and you are done with it soon.

Message 4 of 26
by: smiler121786
on: 08/02/2019 | 12:19
@conradtudor
You need credit to send the STOP message, but in the email or message there ought to be a customer services number which should be able to be dialled from your goodybag.

It is important that you do send the STOP text or that you get them to unsubscribe you.

If you don't do so the messages will still be sent, using up any credit you have, and even if you don't have credit the charges will still be applied when you next add air time credit.

Simply blocking the number will not stop the texts or charges as they are charged at network level, blocking simply stops them appearing on your phone but you will still be charged

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Premium-text-charges-do-s-And-don-t-s/td-p/18597940
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 26
by: sjd75
on: 08/02/2019 | 12:21
hello reply back to the message STOP and that will stop them sending future texts.
Message 3 of 26
by: muddycalhoun
on: 08/02/2019 | 12:37

@conradtudor Hi, I must admit I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of which numbers are related to what company (unlike some of our members) Iy might be a premium rate service or"payforit scam" With giffgaff you can't block these and won't get any help dealing with them.

First thing is check your inbox for text messages telling you that you have subscribed to whatever service. If it is a payforit scam you will find a number to send the STOP message to, make certain you have some airtime credit and send the stop message asap. Then it will be a call to their customer helpline and request that you are refunded any money you have been charged.

You can find out lots more information about the payforit scams either by searching the forum and reading the threads on the subject (some of which are very good) or search the web for" payforit sucks" which too is very good.

There is the capability to bar certain premium rate numbers and overseas calling with giffgaff but it would be no help insofar as payforit.com companies are concerned and they are, if you are unfortunate enough to be caught up with these things they are not to be ignored or they will keep adding charges until you stop it, pay it or close down the number.

I hope it is not anything serious and you are done with it soon.

Message 4 of 26
by: sloz
on: 08/02/2019 | 12:46 edited: 08/02/2019 | 14:05

@conradtudor
Hi, did the text start..
EMail A part 1 of....

Have you previously switched on the option to receive mmail,s?
This is an email2sms service run by o2
Although it works on giffgaff,

You'll be charged 10p for each message received
(Its 10p for every 80 to 90 characters,)

To cancel the service, you need to text the word OFF to 212

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 26
on: 08/02/2019 | 13:10

Thanks everyone for your replies. It’s just come out of the blue. I’ve not signed up to anything or switched any service on. This is just oh so wrong. Perhaps i’ll Go back to a contract, it seems these companies raid your payg credit. Giffgaff really should have an option of letting you stop these people from stealing your credit. Perhaps it’s just one of those things where you should vote with your feet. There are now much bigger cheap data contracts out there now!

Message 6 of 26
on: 08/02/2019 | 13:16
@conradtudor
Have you just transferred a number to giffgaff or have you been with Giffgaff a while?

Did the text start as I described in my previous post?
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 26
on: 08/02/2019 | 13:18
Hi Sloz, yes it did and I’ve never been with O2, not with this number or previous.
Message 8 of 26
on: 08/02/2019 | 13:31 edited: 08/02/2019 | 14:06

@conradtudor
Did you text the word OFF to 212?

If not, don't do that just yet,
Could you try something for me

Go to your email and send one to..
44xxxxxxxxxx at mmail.co.uk

Change the "at" to @
And where it shows 44xxxxxxxxxx
Put your own giffgaff number
So start it it 447
(not 4407 or +447 )

And can you check if you receive a similar text to the one you received previously,
Just put test in the subject
And test in the body of the email

If you do receive it, you'll be deducted 10p

I'm establishing if a mmail service has been switched on remotely for your number
Or
A email2sms script is being used that deducts a charge without the mmail service being switched on
Both situations are worrying,

Someone else has reported a similar ocvurance here
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Text-message-from-21203/m-p/23004772#M8580128

So I'd be grateful if you could do the test for me

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 26
on: 08/02/2019 | 13:48
Yes , I’ve got the text message from my email box!

Message 10 of 26