Knowledge Base
Community

Listening to radio whilst roaming

Started by: petermcashwell
On: 12/06/2019 | 16:44
Replies: 15

by: petermcashwell
on: 12/06/2019 | 16:44

I recently took out a monthly £6 bag since I was going to France sailing and wished to be able to listen to radio in the evening whilst out of wifi range or with rubbish wifi when in port. After just 2 nights, I got a message saying that I had used 80% of my allowance. I thought that audio was cheap...but clearly I'm wrong. Can somebody tell me how many minutes of listening to radio equates to 500MB?

Message 1 of 16
by: mangowalk
on: 12/06/2019 | 16:47
Hi there
You can see details of the last 5 charges to your credit here (updated every 24 hours) https://giffgaff.com/profile/usage-statement If you use goodybags then text PLAN to 43430 to get a summary of your usage.

However, if this is information is insufficient
Then contact an agent via this link https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/
Allow up to 24 hrs for a response. Agents work 7 days a week from 8am to 11pm.
Check for replies here:https://giffgaff.com/support/questions
See full guide here https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Guide-to-the-Usage-Statement/ta-p/17600519
Message 2 of 16
by: rebelyell
on: 12/06/2019 | 16:47
Streaming radio uses quite a lot of data.

Many radio apps will have a setting to reduce the amount of bandwidth use by reducing the nitrate of broadcasts so you can save data at the expense of quality.
Message 3 of 16
by: richybhoy36
on: 12/06/2019 | 16:54
After a full day its about 1g so yout 500 gb sounds to be pretty right .
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
by: ukadi
on: 12/06/2019 | 16:59

@petermcashwellwrote:

I recently took out a monthly £6 bag since I was going to France sailing and wished to be able to listen to radio in the evening whilst out of wifi range or with rubbish wifi when in port. After just 2 nights, I got a message saying that I had used 80% of my allowance. I thought that audio was cheap...but clearly I'm wrong. Can somebody tell me how many minutes of listening to radio equates to 500MB?

What app are you using to listen to radio? If you go into the settings you might be able to change the quality to low this would reduced the amount of data used, but 500MB is not enough if you listen to the radio alot and don't have WiFi.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 16
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:47
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I use Tune in Radio. I have looked into the list of settings and but I cannot find anything that sounds like varying the quality. I was listening for about 70 mins one night and 90 minutes the following night and then I got the message that I had blown 400MB of data!! I don't usually use data so I am new to this game.
Rgds, Peter A
Message 6 of 16
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:48
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was ONLY listening for about 70 mins one night and 90 minutes the following night and then I got the message that I had blown 400MB of data!! I don't usually use data so I am new to this game.
Rgds, Peter A
Message 7 of 16
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:49
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I use Tune in Radio. I have looked into the list of settings and but I cannot find anything that sounds like varying the nitrate of broadcasts. I was listening for about 70 mins one night and 90 minutes the following night and then I got the message that I had blown 400MB of data!! I don't usually use data so I am new to this game.
Rgds, Peter A
Message 8 of 16
by: alexmgg2
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:49

@petermcashwellwrote:

Well, audio is cheaper than video, and it depends on lots of things such as the compression used, but as a rough guide I would expect 1-2 minutes per megabyte.  So your 500MB would get you 500 - 1000 minutes.

HTH

If someones answer has helped you solve your problem, please consider setting it as Best answer, or leaving them Kudos points. Thanks!
Message 9 of 16
by: nigelbrooks
on: 12/06/2019 | 17:51 edited: 12/06/2019 | 17:53

@petermcashwell 

Hello Peter

Even at the lowest quality setting (64kbps) Tunein uses 230 Mb of data in an hour as they seem to have quite an 'overhead' of data to stream the service.

The data usage warning was spot on, sorry to say.

A couple of hours of Intune would see you pushing the 500Mb limit of a £6 goodybag I am afraid.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 10 of 16