Knowledge Base
Community

Locked by network provider

Started by: alessiamastroianni
On: 11/02/2019 | 04:01
Replies: 8

by: alessiamastroianni
on: 11/02/2019 | 04:01

Hi there, I have an iPhone 7 and I am currently in Australia trying to use a local SIM card but I receive an error saying I need to ask my network provider to unlock the phone.

I didn’t get my phone via a contract but When I damaged the screen the insurance replaced it with a different iPhone. I could use my giffgaff with it but now it’s giving me issue with this telstra 

Message 1 of 9
by: natty88
on: 11/02/2019 | 04:36

@alessiamastroianni If it asking to unlock it means it's locked to the 02 network you'll need an 02 sim top it up by 15pounds leave data of don't make any texts or calls leave 24hrs then request to unlock don't state your using giffgaff though or they will give you the run around they will then email you instructions to unlock and take the 15pound 

You may also be able to get unlocked via local phone repair shops but likely cost more 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 9
by: jaymailsays
on: 11/02/2019 | 05:07 edited: 11/02/2019 | 07:19

@alessiamastroianni Telstra or any Oz network won't work on an O2 locked handset. A local repair shop may do an unlock for a fee but could invalidate any warranty. Call or email the Insurers and explain what happened with your replacement phone, they may suggest a local remedy. Or just buy a cheapo handset until you return to the Uk.

If you have only ever used a giffgaff sim in the handset ask an agent if they can unlock it for you. There is this form. Explain fully how your handset became locked.

https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Getting-Started/Unlocking-my-phone/form/

Edit:

Something called a Turbo sim might be available in Oz, check Amazon or the phone shop, whose sim wizardry bypasses the phone lock.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/R-SIM10+-iPhoneiPhone6s-iPhone5S-Unlock-Nano-SIMロック解除アダプタ/dp/B01838H42M/ref...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 9
by: jg_1001
on: 11/02/2019 | 05:17
Unfortunately it probably means your phone is locked to O2 and other providers SIM cards will not work. You will need to get it unlocked.
Try a local phone shop to see if they can assist but usually you would need to contact O2 directly.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 9
by: figment_uk
on: 11/02/2019 | 05:48

@alessiamastroianni

Out of interest, from where did you purchase the original iphone, and which model was it?

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 5 of 9
by: psan939
on: 11/02/2019 | 06:58
Have a look here to help you

https://giffgaff.com/unlock
Message 6 of 9
by: alessiamastroianni
on: 12/02/2019 | 19:53
It’s an iPhone 7. The original phone was bought in Italy by my dad then while in uk I insured it and broke so they gave me a new iPhone cause it was easier than repair it
Message 7 of 9
by: nigelbrooks
on: 12/02/2019 | 20:05

@alessiamastroianni

Sadly, there is absolutely nothing that you can do.

To unlock a phone which has locked to O2 you need a direct connection to O2 in the UK.

Then, after being connected to them for a minimum of 24 hours and paying the £15.00 unlock fee to O2 they will send you the unlock sequence (this will not work if the phone is outside of the UK).

The only hope is to speak your insurers who provided the replacement phone but I fear the answer will be the same.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 8 of 9